Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desperate help needed - really weird HUGE problem

Hi all, please take a read of my problem:

We built a website for a client using Catalog v.7 - we uploaded it to our live server but for some strange reason we recieved cgi-bin errors when trying to download test orders. It didnt like our settings - we emailled the host's tech support and they confirmed our settings, they werent a problem as far as they could see.

I thought i'd then change the Network settings to another hosting account i owned (this was hosted by another company) - and low and behold the site uploaded perfectly and i could upload data and retrieve orders without error.

In the meantime i sent a snapshot to actinic support with my dodgey settings. They claimed they could make a test folder and retrieve test orders without problem. They suggest i turn off my firewall.

I figured i'd get the client to move hosts to the same hosting company that i use for the majority of my customers - (which when tested with actinic they work).

So they bought the new hosting space - and migrate away from their previous host. The IPS tag and name servers were updated yesterday. I update the network settings in actinic to reflect the new hosting account thinking crisis over. But bad news, the exact same problem occurs. Only this time, I get merge errors trying to upload the store so I cant even upload all the files. As a result of the failed merge ordering doesnt work as the cgi-bin pages are not properly loaded.

I test out every other hosting package that I know the settings for that are from the same hosting company and try to upload the shop. They all work and i can get the shop on the respective server's working fine - but when it comes to the problematic URL it doesnt work.

I dont think it's a firewall issue - as i can upload/download using other hosting settings for different accounts.

I dont think it's the Actinic software - as i can upload/download using other hosting settings for different accounts.

I dont believe its the hosting space as i can upload basic files using a ftp package (not related to the actinic website) to the server, and they'll appear when i visit them in a web browser.

The Network settings that are causing me problems actually do check out when i do a Test to see if they'll work. So they pass the Test in Network Settings within Actinic - but dont actually work for me.

The cgi-bin and acatalog folders are all chmod'd correctly for permissions.

It could be the fact that the DNS hasnt resolved yet on the domain since the hosting switch but i find that doubtful. (this is what the new hosting tech support are saying as a possibility).

I've since sent the new hosting settings to Actinic Tech support to see if they claim they can download an order.

When i use the configure your web settings wizard i enter the domain name and it doesnt even recognise it. The system gives an error message. But if i enter another url in there it works....... this is so bizarre.

I was even told it could be my machine but i installed actinic at home, away from the office, and got the same errors!!

Can anyone suggest any help - or think of checks i can make. The live Actinic site is due to go live tomorrow night.....

Cheers!

cached DNS sounds likely as you experience a problem, and someone else who doesn't have the domain in their previously visited domains doesn't ...
    Web Design & Ecommerce - Affordable Web Hosting
    Free and low cost Merchant Accounts coming soon..
    NOD32 Antivirus - Reciprocal Links for Actinic Sites ONLY

Comment

I found a solution on the message boards.

Apparently its due to a bug in the software. I had to refresh the site, then go in to the files with an ftp program and chmod all the cgi-bin scripts to 755 as they were being set up as 644 due to the bug.

Now they all function correctly......

Man, that was a long time in sorting! But it's all good now.

Cheers!

Comment

I fail to understand how one instance of Actinic could set the permissions and another could not...
        Web Design & Ecommerce - Affordable Web Hosting
        Free and low cost Merchant Accounts coming soon..
        NOD32 Antivirus - Reciprocal Links for Actinic Sites ONLY

Comment

Neither can I but it is now working - there's apparently a known bug in the version of Actinic that I own. When the files are uploaded Actinic is not setting the correct permissions so the cgi-files are not writeable.

This meant that i couldnt get the files to merge and i couldnt get the software to pull the orders from the server.

I followed the instructions on another thread about the error. After i'd got the failed merge message i had to then go into an ftp package and manually chmod the cgi-bin files to 755 as they were 644 before. (this bug is meant to be fixed in the next release of version 7).

You're right though - i am absolutely stumped as to why the files were going up with the correct chmod on another server when changed the network settings. This is completely mind blowing, hence why i didnt even consider this solution. It could be worth me asking someone on Actinic support this question.

Comment

Working...
          X