Extended Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extended Info

Hey, guys, do u happen to know where the "extended info" is stored? I mean the physical location. I searched for this info in the *.cat files (where i thought it would be) but it isn't there. Any ideas? Please don't reply with NETQUOTEVAR:INFOTEXT because this isn't what i'm looking for.Thanks.

The extended info is stored in the Site1 database file along with all the other data.

If you mean where is it on the website - it is in the html pages with an info_XX.html name where XX is numeric.

If you mean in the programme, its on the extended info tag when you click on each specific product - this is where you can change the info if you want the change to be permanent.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Sorry about the bad english...I'm interested in where is it on the site. I searched the acatalog folder and there aren't any info_XX.html pages. I've edited actinic so it mostly generates php files. I only have about 20 htmlfiles so i can't be wrong. By the way...a significant info: i don't generate popup pages with extended info. I'm using this info only for the search engine.

Comment

If you don't use the popups, have you included the two NETQUOTEVARS referenced on the built in help page to include the details on your standard product pages?

If not then Actinic will simply ignore the contents of the extended info boxes when it builds the site html since you have not provided anywhere for the information to be shown to your visitors.

If your intention was to try and show a quantity of text to search engines that was not available to your visitors, then you better thank Actinic. This is a definite SEO no-no and one of the quickest ways to get your site permanently removed from all the search engines.
        Bill

Comment

I'm currently testing the extended info. I didn't check the "Generate Popup Page" but I added some info. I've updated the site locally and tried to search for the keywords I entered in the extended info area and seems to be working. My boss doesn't want to see any popups generated on his site so i'll have to figure out another solution. I don't know any Perl so I can't edit the searching Perl scripts generated by Actinic. In order to get the result desired by my boss I'll have to do my own search engine and I think I'll do it in JavaScript. But the only problem is that I don't know how to access the "extended information" from all the products. If I didn't make myself clear please tell me so I'll be more specific. I have to solve this problem in 2 days or i'm DEAD! Thaks

Comment

In Actinic, click Help, choose Help Topics.

Switch to Index tab, type extended info. Double click extended info in the results box to read the help. At the very bottom of the page is information on two NETQUOTEVARs you can add to your product layout template to include the extended information on the standard product page.

In Actinic, click View | select Search Settings - on the Search Options tab, ensure there is a tick in the box for Index Extended Product Info.
            Bill

Comment

Thanks you for all the support, John. My site is selling art.The problem is that i'll have to develop my own search engine which will have to able to search through all the collections names,all the product names and the extended info of all the art prints.My question is: how do i do that? Any Ideas?

Comment

By the way. What John told me is available to the Perl search engine from Actinic. I need some general info to use with my JS search engine. Thanks.

Comment

This link leads to a free site search application http://www.htdig.org/ which you can run on your website - CAVEAT look at the space requirements before you decide anything. The download includes source code which may help you.

A standard Actinic site is searchable using standard actinic search - you obviously must have your reasons for not going with the standard. Hope you and John work things out.
                  Bill

Comment

Working...
                  X