Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny crash where backups did not help

Folks,

Not a request for help, just a warning story.

I have mentioned several times how I make multiple daily, weekly, monthly backups and thought it worth mentioning that I had a little crash today where none of those helped me.

I did a site refresh earlier this evening and got the dreadfull message - different checksum value dah dah dah which told me my .fil files were out of synch between the PC and the website.

So I trotted off over here to the forum and did a search, found advice to delete the .fil and .cat files on both the server and the PC and then refresh.

I FTP'd to the site and deleted the .fil and .cat files - came back to the PC and did the same - then tried to refresh - NO RESPONSE. Tried to upload - NO RESPONSE. Tried to download the orders I could see on the web NO RESPONSE. Tried to get the orders by FTP - access denied!!

I went to troubleshooting and ran the Actinic Diagnostics - a bunch of files that should have been in the Windows/system folder missing.

Now I did not want to do a full purge and refresh and lose the orders, and was also pretty sure that would not work anyway, so I tried re-installing the 7.0.5 upgrade patch from last week. No change.

I went to the Actinic Support download page and downloaded the full 7.0.5 upgrade, installed that and thankfully the problem was solved.

Now I've added the Windows system folder to the daily backup.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Thanks for the tip Bill. Glad you are up and running again.

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Have you uninstalled any software from your machine recently? If so that could explain where you system files went to. Glad it is sorted now.

Regards,
      Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
      Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
      A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
      Product Mash for Sellerdeck
      Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
      Multichannel order processing
      Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Bill
        Glad you are OK now...why do you think it happend and installing the upgrade did the trick?
        cheers

Comment

As Jan said, a software uninstall, or Windows upgrade, Adobe upgrade deciding I did not need that version of that file - a bad hard disk sector - who knows?

Installing the upgrade (which was not really an upgrade because I was already on 7.0.5) presumably re-installed the correct version of the OCX or dll that caused the problem.

The beauty of computing is that there could even have been another temporary problem and everything I did could have been totally useless and the sequence of events entirely co-incidental.

I still think its worthwhile backing up the system folder, which previously I did not do.
          Bill
          www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
          Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
          BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
          Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
          VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
          Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Bill
            I do backups and snapshots..but I tested my snapshot to try and do a recovery from snapshot..it didnt work..so I am a bit nervous
            TIA
            and cheers

Comment

Working...
            X