Google friendly navigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google friendly navigation

We have been online for about 7 weeks now and are rapidly getting up the google rating.

I notice that the only pages that google recognises are the ones navigated from the home page with proper html buttons.It also still hasn't listed any internal links(although they do list a number of external ones I have constructed).

The section tree down the left generated with java doesn't seem to be being followed.

I thought that crawler compatibility was one of the main reasons for showing this tree on each page.

Am I just impatient or would I do better constructing button navigation on the home page?
    Graham

www.Briggsbits.co.uk
    The online store for Briggs and Stratton spare parts

Google and the other engines won't really make sense of links that go via the cgi-bin. Unless you're using customer accounts you're better using direct links to the relevant pages.

At a very minimum you shouls have a link to your sitemap so google can follow that and find all your pages. They won't do quite as well with this though as they will if you fix the navigation links.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

If you have fairly static sections ditching the javascript navigation should work wonders in favour of a hardcoded link. It is also a common tactic to hard code the section links and sitemap at the bottom of the Act_Primary

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Thanks,

Looks like another button making session on its way!
        Graham

www.Briggsbits.co.uk
        The online store for Briggs and Stratton spare parts

Comment

I take the generated sitemap ie P_sitemap.html, strip out the <li><ul> etc tags and use the result as the set of spiderable links placed at the bottom of ACT_PRIMARY

This way I get my fancy, better looking and auto maintained links in the left nav and spiderable links at the bottom of everypage (which from time to time gets out of date but doesn't matter if I forget every so often )

Comment

Do you have an example of this I can see online please Jo?

Thanks

Duncan

Comment

www.surf-wax.co.uk/acatalog

Comment

Neat idea - thanks Jo.

Comment

You can also achieve the same on the left navigation without any modifications. See: www.Winged-Heart.com

Comment

Just to let you know that your image (if it is your site) winged-heart-header.jpg is missing. It gives me a location on your hard drive.

Kind regards

Jason
                    Regards

Jason

Titan Jewellery (Swift Design)
                    Zirconium Rings
                    Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

Thanks Jason I will let the site owner know. We are in the middle of site handover and they want to be able to change that part of the header, so we are having some fun!!

Comment

Working...
                      X