Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoring from a reinstall

Hi
    I have had to reinstall actinic v 4 after a system corruption, and now cannot get my catalog files to display. I have resinstalled correctly and then installed my site1 again but still when i go into actinic the demo site shows and not my own catalogue. can you help i ahve done several reinstalls and still the same problem.
    thanks Pam williams
    Pam

only shows demo site after reinstall

Hi
    Could someone take a look at my problem. I still cannot display my catalogue following a reinstall of actinic due to a system corruption. I can only get the demo site to display. thanks
    Pam
    Pam

Comment

is it version 4 or version 7?

Comment

cannot display catalogue following reinstall

Hi Jo
        It is version 4. I had a corrupt confi sys file so had to restore from the system disk Microsoft xp. following that I uninstalled actinic. then reinstalled it from cd and then installed my site1 from cd. but all it keeps showing is the demo site.
        thanks Pam
        Pam

Comment

cannot display catalogue following reinstall v4

Jo - forgot to say that when i did the system restore, I didnt overwrite any of my files. so they are all still on my hard drive.
          pam
          Pam

Comment

The files from the cd will have been read only, did you remember to reset them after copying them back to your PC?
            Bill
            www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
            Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
            BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
            Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
            VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
            Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Hi Bill
              I have just tried resetting the read only attribute by unclicking it on the site and site1 folders (and selecting All option). It appears to be doing it but when i go back and check the properties on the folders the read only attribute is selected again. In other words it does not seem to retain the change. Do you know what could be wrong. Is there another way to change the attribute (the folder has over 1000 files so dont want to ahve to do them all manually. anyway the attribute is still reset when i do.
              thanks Pam
              Pam

Comment

Could the problem be that my profile is no authorised some how. Because i had to resinstall from the system disk, i had to set up a new profile and that is what i am using. i dont know how to get back my old profile and use it. Pam
                Pam

Comment

Bill Also tried taking off the read only attribute on the actinic 4 entire folder but it just reverts back to read only.
                  Pam
                  Pam

Comment

Pam,

What operating system do you have on your PC? If it's XP, do a search in help and support for 'take ownership of a file'. You will have to do this in two step, first take ownership as Administrator and set 'allow others to change ownership of this file', then take ownership under the new ID.
                    Bill

Comment

HI
                      Have tried changing the permisions but it still reverts back to read only. Dont know if I did it correctly as I seem to have so many profiles listed I cant see the wood for the trees! feel completely stuck now. Shall i uninstall and start again although i feel will still have the same problem. HELP!
                      Pam

Comment

could not see the "take ownership" optioins you mentioned on the security or advanced screens, so could not select those as options. just tried to follow the instructions in the help and support but it was quite confusing and i still could not get the read only attribute to stay deselected.
                        Pam

Comment

Pam - have you logged off your account and logged on to the PC as Administrator before trying these steps?
                          Bill

Comment

yes have done that. in safe mode i log in as administrator. but it is at the ownership screens that it gets confusing, i seem to have a few accounts titled administrator. would you be able to give me the exact steps to follow as the help is a bit technical. thanks
                            Pam

Comment

Pam,

Lets start with changing the read-only flag. Log in as administrator and go to the site1 directory in explorer (or my computer). Edit | Select All, right click, permissions and clear the read-only box.

Log out, and then log in with your own ID and check the properties.

For the ownership change - if the above step does not clear the problem - it really needs hands-on, do you know a local IT admin type from one off the bigger companies in the area, or a university or large school IT man?
                              Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X