Weird Email - Any Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Email - Any Ideas?

Had a strange situation last week with the email confirmation - any ideas as to what caused it would be welcomed,

1 An order was placed by lets say Bill Bloggs as normal, all worked OK.

2 I received a confirmation email as usual saying the order had been received and a copy of the order confirmation email to Bill Bloggs. Mr Bloggs had entered the following email address in his customer details - bill.bloggs@btinternet.com

3 The next morning I got an email from ANOTHER Mr Bloggs who lived at an entirely different address saying he had received a customer confirmation of order email but knew nothing about it as he had never placed an order with us. This Mr Bloggs email address was bill.bloggs@btopenworld.com - notice the difference?

4 The Mr Bloggs who had placed the order never received a confirmation email from us and had only entered bill.bloggs@btinternet.com on his order form.

How the hell did that happen!?

hmmmmmmmmm

Obviously the beginning of the email addresses are not real, but this should show how this 'might' have occured...

Mailserver for btopenworld.com is mx1.bt.mail.yahoo.com. - 195.50.106.135

Mailserver for btinternet.com is mx1.bt.mail.yahoo.com. - 195.50.106.135

They are the same mailserver, which would make sense as they are one in the same company, but shows that emails sent to different domains with them are arriving on the same server, so........

I would guess, the 2 users under there separate email addresses which arrive at the same server has somehow got mixed up, be that mailserver glitch or maybe (however remote) duplication of email username maybe if they are controlled by different servers with emails ending up on the same mail storage and processing server...

A glitch at BT would hazard to be honest and one would throw at them to see what they suggest..

Hope gives you some ideas..

Comment

Thanks Techno Web

I'll stick it to BT and see what they say.

Derek

Comment

Working...
      X