Weight problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weight problem?

No not a “does my bum look fat in this” kind of weight problem - a shipping & handling weight problem!

Stock control – different sizes – hidden products – shipping weight

Background info:
    We sell t-shirts and each design is available in a number of different sizes. For effective stock control, I have followed the advice given on the forum and from the User Guide and have created the following tree structure.

“Rollerbabe-Lilac” T-shirt design = product
    size = component of that product
    select size = attribute with 3 choices (small, medium, large)

In the component details box, I have clicked on the permutations tab and then on “fill list” to get each of the sizes to appear and then have associated each with their hidden product.
    e.g small choice is associated with “Rollerbabe-Lilac small” which exists as a hidden product

Shipping weight:
    One packed t-shirt in postal packaging weighs 200g – so I have entered 0.2 in:
    Product details | General | Shipping details | Weight in Kg box

However when an order is placed the shipping weight seems incorrect – double in fact. I think that because the choice is associated with a hidden product, the weight is being added together.
    Therefore I assume, the weight must only be entered once per product line – but do I put it in the main product or in each associated product?
    I want to put it in each associated hidden product as XL weighs more than small.

So my question is:
    Where do I put the weight for a product that has components/attributes and choices where the choices are associated with hidden products of varying weights?

Limited Edition - sold out
    Finally, I know this has come up before – but how can I prevent customers from being able to order products that are not in stock?

It’s not as simply as unchecking the “allow back ordering” box in: Business settings | Ordering, because all our other products can be back ordered as they are usually restocked/available within 48 hours. It’s just that our T-shirts are limited editions (in that we only produce 500 of each design at a time) so we don’t want customers to order something that we have effectively sold out of.

The problem comes when customers order a few of each design, when stock levels are low, they seem to be able to back order these limited edition items. How can I prevent this from happening?
    Kerri

Kerri

Thanks for such a well laid out and easy to follow question. Here are some answers. I'm pleased to say it is 'yes's all round.

Where do I put the weight for a product that has components/attributes and choices where the choices are associated with hidden products of varying weights?

If each choice is a different weight, then you should enter the weight in for the hidden products and enter a weight of '0' for the main product. Do not leave the field for the main product blank or esle it will take the default weight set in 'Business Settings | Shipping and Handling'.

Finally, I know this has come up before – but how can I prevent customers from being able to order products that are not in stock?

Actinic can automatically mark products as being out of stock for you. Simply tick 'Stock Monitoring' within the 'Stock' tab for each product and then you can set the 'Suspend Items If Below' level. When products fall below this level, the 'add to cart' button is replaced by some text saying 'Out of Stock'. This text is editable in 'Design | Text | Web Site (cont) | General Information'. The stock levels are decreased at the point you download orders. You need to upload in order to then show these out of stock messages online.

Comment

Working...
    X