Extended Info Link Text Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extended Info Link Text Problem

I'm trying to get a set carriage return and font style and size for all the information in Extended Info Text Links. I've read through the forum and seen that:

!!<<br><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Click here to see a bigger picture</font>>!!

should work - however when I upload I get the html code showing and it's not doing as it should. Also tried without the !!<'s at the beginning and end and still no difference.

Any ideas (not having the best day - lots of fiddly bits driving me mad )

Thanks

Kathy
    Kathy Newman

Update - this gets odder!

I ended up calling Actinic Support as this was driving me mad - I may not be the best html programmer but I knew what I was doing was correct.

Actinic could not replicate the problem - they saw on my site exactly what was happening - typed the code into their system and it worked for them.

We even tried hard coding into Act_productline.html template - around NETQUOTEVAR:EXTINFOLINK to make the text red and big just to make sure - and again nothing.

I'm sending a snapshot - but just wondered in the meantime if anyone else had come across this problem before. We're so close to launching the new site - I really don't want this to delay things - aarrrrrggggggggggghhhhhh

Kathy
    Kathy Newman

Comment

Kathy - do you have the URL for a page where this can be seen?

A problem like this is usually caused by an extra > on a previous html tag (or very occassionally a missing one on a non-required tag. Very hard to spot, but usually picked up right away by a good validator.

[added]Just spotted that vlink and alink colour attributes are specified twice in your body tag - that needs to be sorted[/added]
      Last edited by wjcampbe; 02-Nov-2005, 06:17 PM. Reason: add
      Bill
      www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
      Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
      BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
      Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
      VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
      Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Thanks Bill

http://www.puddlepetcare.co.uk/acata..._Dog_Beds.html

I had a look at that - but think I'm not seeing anything straight now!

If you could have a look that would be great.

Kathy
        Kathy Newman

Comment

Hmm - I see the problem, but not the cause. Tried doing a similar link in my own site and it worked fine with the !!< >!! but without the html markers I got the html printing on the page.

Actinic correctly stripped off the !!< stuff when it generated the page. Uploaded to site in case there was a change during the upload process - no - still fine. Took it off again. I have spotted no obvious html error earlier on the page either - maybe Norman will pop in and spot something wrong with the javascript.
          Bill
          www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
          Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
          BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
          Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
          VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
          Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Thanks Bill - still a mystery then - will send Actinic the Snapsot this morning and see if they can come up with anything - very odd!!!!!

Kathy
            Kathy Newman

Comment

Did anyone find a solution to this post?

I've just upgraded from Catalog V6 to Multi User V7 and been caught by this.

I use HTML in my text link to Launch my extended popup window so that it appears bold. In V6 this box supported raw HTML (Without the !!< tags etc) and now in V7 it doesnt appear to support either. It parses the HTML to the created page as if it were normal text. If I use the !!< tags it parses them also.

Please note this problem is the LINK TEXT box, not the TEXT box, which works fine with the !!< tags.

You can see an example on this page

http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/im...ancy-aids.html

Every product in my catalogue now has this problem as I've just doen the site upgrade and this method worked OK in previous version. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,
              Mark
              Mark Lowery
              Lomo

Comment

I heard my name. No need for embedded HTML unless you want to alter this per product.

Just edit your Product Template and replace

NETQUOTEVAR:EXTINFOLINK

with

<b>NETQUOTEVAR:EXTINFOLINK</b>
                Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have a go with it.

I do sometimes use Different HTML for different products so it would be useful to have. The annoying thing was that this function did work in V6 and I have 200 products all with custom HTML in this field.

I've now spoken to support about it and they have replicated it. It appears that V6 Multi User is the only version that you cant type HTML into this field. They are treating it as a bug and will update me after further investigation.

As a work around I've now edited my database and deleted all the HTML code from the products so my site is tidy again. Using your NETQUOTEVAR:EXTINFOLINK suggestion will help me meet most of my requirements again.

Thanks for your help!

Mark.
                  Mark Lowery
                  Lomo

Comment

Here's another way to customise it on a per product level.

Amend the Product Template and replace

NETQUOTEVAR:EXTINFOLINK</span>

with

</span><span class="CUSTOMVAR:EXTINFOLINKCLASS">NETQUOTEVAR:EXTINFOLINK</span>

then create a Custom Property EXTINFOLINKCLASS

Go to Design / Options / Site Defaults and set EXTINFOLINKCLASS to be

extinfobold

and add a class .extinfobold to actinic.css to suit.

This will set a default style for all your links.

Now you can add other CSS styles to actinic.css and refer to their names on a per-product basis by changing EXTINFOLINKCLASS.

Note that as these are <a ...> tags some of the style tags color, font-size and text-decoration may be overridden by various existing actinic.css definitions.
                    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Working...
                    X