acatalog directory in CGI bin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

acatalog directory in CGI bin?

I've just run a link check on my site using 'Link Checker Pro'. The site checks out fine except for what mostly appear to be a lot of 'missing' images.

When I look at the URL that link checker is using I get the following:

airsportdirect.com/cgi-bin/acatalog/NewsBanner.gif

(where NewsBanner.gif is an example of one of the missing images. This file only exists in my Act_BrochurePrimary template as do all of the other images that are referenced.)

I also get unresolved references to the actinic.css file at the same location:

airsportdirect.com/cgi-bin/acatalog/actinic.css

Clearly these files aren't at this location and nor should they be (my acatalog dir is at the same level as my cgi-bin dir NOT inside it), however I can't find out what it is that's looking for them there and why.

My site looks fine when I browse it and order placements also work fine.

I've looked over every page including the basket and checkout pages and I never get any missing images.

Interestingly, I tried running the link checker again whilst I was on my site with an item in my basket and these missing links didn't occur. This suggests that the link checker is accessing the pages in a way that's different to how a normal visitor would.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Hi Dave,

If you FTP to the server and look within the cgi-bin you may find an 'acatalog' folder there. This sometimes happens when creating the network settings and doing the first bits of tests to get the site working. Actinic creates the 'acatalog' folder if it does not find one on the server under normal circumstances, say however while setting up the Network Settings you had tried a couple of different paths then an 'acatalog' folder may have been created in the cgi-bin. If you delete the folder from within the cgi-bin, it should prevent the link checker from finding any of those links..

Kind regards,
    Bruce King
    SellerDeck

Comment

Hi Bruce,
      I've checked my cgi-bin directory via FTP and there's no acatalog dir in there.
      Even if there was, I don't think the link checker would try to access it unless something on my site was actually linking to it.

I'm wondering if it's something to do with whether or not a session is active. If I'm accessing my site from IE in parallel with the link checker then these erroneous links don't occur.

There must be something that happens when a 'real' user accesses my site that doesn't happen when the link checker accesses it.

Comment

In that case there might be a reference to a defuncy index.html somewhere which is thrownig up these invalid links. Is there an index.html in you cgi-bin by any chance?
        Bruce King
        SellerDeck

Comment

No. My cgi-bin only contains the actinic .pl and .pm files. If I go onto my site and place an item in my basket and then do the link check these invalid links don't occur.

Comment

I suspect the problem is with Link Checker.

My guess is that it is following links to the shopping cart and the checkout, and the scripts are executing and displaying the view cart and chckout pages. HOWEVER, there is some Actinic-specific code in the Perl scripts and HTML that means that although the URL is showing the perl files in the cgi-bin, the images in the 'acatlaog' directory are still found and displayed correctly. My guess is that Link Checker doesn't support this protocol so it thinks the images are missing.

Comment

OK. I'm not seeing any evidence of missing images through any other means than Link Checker, so it sounds like nothing I need to worry about.
              Thanks for your help guys.

Comment

Working...
              X