Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

merge error on upload

www.baby-pages.co.uk

Hi folks, what a load of stress i've had from my customer this week.

Various problems with a site which was previously working fine, I've now completely deleted the domain on the server and recreated it, setting permissions on cgi-bin and acatalog to 777.

When doing an update or refresh it gets to the last stage and reports "an error occurred sending the merge request".

When running "web - configure web site details" it has a problem locating where perl is installed. It is set to /usr/bin/perl, I have scripts within other non-actinic websites on this server which point to that address and they work fine.

When running "advanced network setup - test" i get "Actinic received a server error from the web server. The CGI scripts are not executing properly on the server. Run Web | Configure Web Site Details... to review your web site configuration."

After the merge error during the update it seems most of the files are there, but the site doesn't work only the home page displays, requests for other pages result in:
    " Server error!
    The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.
    Error message:
    Premature end of script headers: ss000001.cgi
    If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster
    Error 500"

Network settings are:
    HTTPPROXYMODE 0
    HTTPPROXYADDRESS
    HTTPPROXYPORT 80
    HTTPPROXYUSER
    HTTPPROXYPASSWORD
    FTPPROXYMODE 0
    FTPPROXYADDRESS
    FTPPROXYPORT 21
    FTPPROXYUSER
    FTPPROXYPASSWORD
    SCRIPTID 1
    SCRIPTEXT .pl
    SMTPHOST localhost
    WEBSITEURL www.baby-pages.co.uk
    IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS true
    USERELATIVECGIURLS false
    PATHTOPERL /usr/bin/perl
    USEENHANCEFTP false
    FTPCLIENTTIMEOUT 15000
    FTPRETRYDELAY 3000
    FTPSILENT false
    FTPMAXRETRIES 3
    FTPCONNECTTIMEOUT 25000
    SMTPAUTHREQUIRED false
    SMTPUSERNAME ********
    SMTPPASSWORD ****
    CATALOGURL http://www.baby-pages.co.uk/acatalog/
    CGIBINURL http://www.baby-pages.co.uk/cgi-bin/
    PATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../acatalog/
    CODEBASE ./
    FTPHOST ftp.baby-pages.co.uk
    FTPUSERNAME ******
    FTPPASSWORD ****
    PATHTOCGIBIN cgi-bin/
    USEPASSIVEFTP false
    FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../httpdocs/acatalog/

Antivirus on this PC = AVG
    Firewall = Zonealarm

If any one can point me in the right direction to solve this I will be amazingly happy.

Regards

Mark Brown

SCRIPTEXT .pl
    Premature end of script headers: ss000001.cgi
    Looks like a change of scriptext to .cgi might solve a problem.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Tried this, but no joy.

Everything points to the site not being able to run scripts, but could this be a red herring?

The "Configure Web Options" says it can't find an installation of Perl (/usr/bin/perl which works on other websites on same server)

Network Settings - Test says "CGI scripts are not executing properly on the server".

An update or refresh reports "an error occurred sending the merge request"

On the servers website control panel scripts are allowed, and there is ample free space.

Comment

Can you check the permissions on the files and folders.
        Bill

Comment

Hi Bill you a star continously offering your help on this forum - the world needs more people like you.

The cgi-bin and the files within it are set to 777, acatalog is also set to 777 but when Actinic does a complete refresh it sets acatalog to 775. All the files within acatalog are currently 777, as is httpdocs within which acatalog resides.

Comment

furthermore even if i delete the acatalog directory, index, and the contents of cgi-bin, then run the network test, it still responds that cgi scripts are not executing properly on the server.

I have loaded a basic formmail webpage to the site which uses perl in /usr.bin/perl and that works fine. Its only the actinic scripts which aren't working.

Comment

Can you contact actinic support by email, as someone will need to get your ftp name and password and actually access the site to resolve this quickly.

Just before you do, - if the site is currently empty - try setting script extension back to .pl and use enhanced ftp to true, and try it one last time.
              Bill

Comment

Tried that, still no joy, still same errors. Thanks for help, have contacted support.

Comment

Hi Mark,

Can you please mail the network settings to sebsupport@actinic.co.uk he will be taking care of your email ticket.

Kind regards,
                  Bruce King
                  SellerDeck

Comment

I have exactly the same propblem with a customers' catalog. It will not complete the merge request at all.

Here's what I've tried so far:

Checked permissions on the CGI-BIN: 750
                    Checked permissions on the ACATLOG folder: 777

Removed the contents of both folders and tried Refresh Website: Failed.

Removed CGI support on the server then re-enabled: Still failed.

This is great when the catalog is over 180meg in size and it takes 2 hours to upload each time on broadband

Anyone any ideas?

Comment

Hi,

Permissions on the cgi-bin need to be 755. Change it to 755 and once done do a Web | refresh Website.

Kind regards,
                      Bruce King
                      SellerDeck

Comment

Hi folks reference the original problem that I was having, I reported the problem to the hosting company and they eventually sorted it, they deny changing anything but strange how it now works after i reported the problem.

Thanks to those who contributed for your help

Comment

This may help some of you experiencing this kind of problem. We host several Actinic sites we developed on our new server. After migrating them from a Cobalt we found many Actinic sites had problems with the last phase of web-refresh. What we did was disable and re-enable CGI support through the server's control panel, then delete the contents of the CGI-BIN and ACATALOG folders. Did another web-refresh and everything was ok.

Just my two-pence worth.

Phill

Comment

We had this problem also - 120mins on an average upload as well so it has wasted a whole day

It seems as though our server (active 24) was overwritting file permissions on files within the cgi-bin to 644 which was causing this problem.

I went into server using ftp and changed these files manually to 755 and things (so far) seem to be working fine.

Hope this helps someone somewhere...
                            www.wonkeymonkey.com

Comment

Jayhands, you just saved my sanity, thankyou

I've just wasted 5 or 6 hours trying to get a new installation on unitedhosting.co.uk, it seems the contents of the cgi-bin were being changed to 644 also, changed them to 755 and voila.....thanks again.

Darryl

Comment

Working...
                              X