Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Title-Keywords

Hi All
    I am trying to put a title on my pages..the longer the better for search engines as they have more weight then meta keyword...however..putting a long title..that also shows up on the navigation bar as the title for the home page..how do I avoid getting it shown in the nav menue..

TIA

I'm sure that this is already on the Forum but here's my way. I'm assuming that you want to change this Title depending on the Section.

Edit Act_Primary.html and replace

NETQUOTEVAR:PAGETITLE

with

CUSTOMVAR:PAGETITLE <!-- NETQUOTEVAR:PAGETITLE -->

Go to Advanced / Custom Properties and create a new Property PAGETITLE

In the Catalog Tree, highlight each Section and in Properties click the "+", select PAGETITLE and set it's Value to your Title text. If using Business uncheck Searchable and check Use as CUSTOMVAR. Repeat for each page.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

I'm not an SE pro but the meta tag:
      <meta name="description" content="good description here"> which is the Meta_Description in Actinic is a good way of achieving this in the SEs. My page title is then a summary of that description.

My sites usually come up with well with this in google.

Duncan

Comment

The behaviour Doc is talking about happens in Brochure pages only, so a customvar for page title as Norman says is the way to go.

However you can use the Page Title field on the section dialog box for all sections/products - you don't need a customvar for this.

Be sure to check out the current suggested length for page titles to ensure you don't get rejected as a spammer.

i tend to stick to 6 - 8 keywords per title, the chosen keywords should be in the body text of the page also.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
          Hi All
          I am trying to put a title on my pages..the longer the better for search engines as they have more weight then meta keyword...however..putting a long title..that also shows up on the navigation bar as the title for the home page..how do I avoid getting it shown in the nav menue..

TIA

What you need to do is firstly name your page in the name field - this is NOT your title for SEO purposes - this name is automtically caried over to the URL so will form the url of the page ( but it can be changed). Careful consideration should be given to the words used in your URL field.

Next go to the layout tab, there you will see page name (this is the URL of the page) and page title - this is the title that the search engine will display and this is the all important title where you need to put your key words.

Note that you can change the URL here so that it does not have to be the same as your page name - but do make sure it reflects the keyword/phrases of the page to give you the best posible optimisation of the page.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
          Ian
          Commercial Cleaning Cambridgeshire

Comment

Originally posted by Legends
            Note that you can change the URL here so that it does not have to be the same as your page name - but do make sure it reflects the keyword/phrases of the page to give you the best posible optimisation of the page.
            Best to follow this tip when first creating the page - if you change at a later date you get into issues of errors with hardcoded links, bookmarked page issues and search engine listing the page that has now been moved - although you can get around this using a permanent redirect in the .htaccess file on the server it is best to plan from the ground up and map out what pages / sections are going to be for and name accordingly

Bikster
            SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

title the longer the better....I dont agree

Having a short concise title is better than a long one.

Far too many sites are diluted, its better to target only a handful of phrases than to spam the pages with loads of keyphrases, the same goes for the title.

A title of "blue widgets for sale" is better than "widgets for sale in blue, black, red, green selling widgets from my widget shop online in lancashire and also available by mail order"

When writing titles also dont forget the stop words which are invisible, like "the" "and" etc..

A page can not sensibly be optimised for more than a few phrases.

The google reference about the meta description is also a little misleading, on some pages in some engines you will see your meta description appear. This is not a concrete thing in all engines though, especially google as it uses a technique to try and calculate what it thinks is most relevant to display. Google decides on the text below the link in the results, not you by stating a meta description.

Different search engines have slightly different rules, do some experimenting to see what I mean.

Google is trying to get you to write relevant good quality sites not for you to spam the engine and put twaddle in the meta tags.

In google the first words of the title are THE MOST IMPORTANT and these should be reflected around the page in various ways, h1, a href, italic, cross linked, inbound link, alt tag, body text, page name etc.... DO NOT put it in every place and hammer it.
              Curtain Poles

Comment

Originally posted by Dek
                A page can not sensibly be optimised for more than a few phrases.
                Hi Dek,

have been reading your SEO posts with great interest over the several sections. Thinking about the above quote and others about optimising the page and keywords. Looking at the nhl-jerseys index page (root and acatalog) you have in the description words such as "skateboard, anti-fit jeans, baggy jeans" which I could not find any of those items on that site let alone that page. Just wondering the reasoning for their inclusion?

Regards

Jont

Bikster

Comment

reason

The reason is very simple......

These sites are not ready yet.

I am flat out with several shops to try and get sorted for xmas, been juggling time between development and production.

My special sites are a direct down from the top level hockeystop, if you look at some of the postings you will see i mention in there about the multiple site thingy.

The overall template as a start point is the quickest way but until I get around to tidy it up there will be some rogue things in there.

If you look you will find many more instances.
                  Curtain Poles

Comment

Originally posted by Dek
                    I am flat out with several shops to try and get sorted for xmas,....... but until I get around to tidy it up there will be some rogue things in there.
                    LOL. My to-do list sits on the screen for months whilst something more pressing needs attention ... and at this time of year grows on a daily basis

Bikster

Comment

funny

I bet everyone on this forum in same boat yet we find time to spend ages posting and reading!!!!! he he
                      Curtain Poles

Comment

Too true - this site is hypnotically addictive

Bikster

Comment

Agreed - this site is my grown up version of tidying my room rather than writing an essay!
                          Nick
                          Trying to squeeze my moneys worth out of V7 - but not for much longer!

Comment

Working...
                          X