actinic and 64 bit stuff ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

actinic and 64 bit stuff ..

After my laptop developed a major problem over the weekend (I can limp on with it at the moment, but it needs to go back to Sony to have their loving touch), I was rather awakened to the fact that I really should have some additional computing here.

I am looking to spec up a new PC this week and am considering using a AMD 64 x2 (probably) 4800+ chip, running Windows Professional x64 operating system.

Does anyone know if Actinic is happy running on stuff like this .. I am concerned about buying some whizz-bang new PC and then discovering the software I am going to be running doesn't like what I am asking to be shoved inside the posh new case.

(so it will be actinic developer 7, plus the usual stuff .. MM Studio 8, Photoshop, InDesign)

Does anyone have any experience of using this kind of set up?

thanks

David

David,

I am checking with development to see if we have tested Actinic on a 64 bit machine as yet. Will keep you updated.

Kind regards,
    Bruce King
    SellerDeck

Comment

thanks Bruce,

I have had someone mention that Dreamweaver etc., prefers to run on Intel rather than AMD (which is a bit of a pain as the AMD stuff seems to beat the intel stuff hands down pretty much everywhere else).

Mind you, I dare say the difference is so slight I probably wouldn't notice .. but it would be reassuring to know I am not going to buy something which is a dud for my 'bread and butter' stuff ..

Comment

I'm having a play with x64 at home, and although as a OS i find it stable, I find compatability a huge problem with certain programs and drivers... can get my sound working, but not graphics (even though I downloaded the x64 catalyst drivers ) and I can not get my Standard ADSL modem to run on it, but that is a good thing, its given me a kick up the arse, i need a router!

To be honest I would stick to XPsp2 for now, and wait for either a better build of x64 or for Vista...

If you are running 2x 4800+ chips its gonna be rapid enuff anyway. Just make sure that you get xome SATA drives (NOT MAXTOR!!!!), I know people who buy the biggest, bestest CPU's and Graphics Cards etc and have really slow crappy IDE HDDs.

PS) I got my OEM x64 Pro for about 75quid inc VAT + Shipping, worth buying to have a look!
        www.bathroomexpress.co.uk

Comment

x64 is out but too few software devlopers are supporting it. So I sent mine back and got a full refund.

By the time the software is out the spec would have changed on the computers so I'll wait until there's more choice.

Duncan
          Ph: 0845 838 1 839

Comment

Working...
          X