Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Actinic on 2 pc's - want to get it right!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actinic on 2 pc's - want to get it right!

Hi guys,

can someone clarify the correct way of setting Actinic v7 up on 2 pc's, one for order management and one for web updating?

I've checked the relevant ticky boxes for allowing ordering & not allowing web maintenance etc. but we've still managed to overwrite the db and customer accounts dont seem to be transferring to the 'live' website.

I'm a bit confused as to whether the order processing pc needs to upload anything, whether this is done automatically, how the customer accounts info uploads to the live website etc. and how the maintenance pc does not overwrite orders, accounts etc when uploaing new products.

Cheers

Ruth

Running on 2pcs - more questions

I'm looking for the same type of information. We are trying to run this on two computers - one to use for updating the site and one for downloading orders. Every once in a while when we download from the computer where we'd like to get the orders, we don't get the credit card information and it stays that way until we upload from that computer. I'm not sure what is causing this so any help would be appreciated. This is a pain as that computer is in a different physical location so we can't easily get the updated files to that computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jen

Comment

The best way is to use the main computer to operate the site, upload changes, download orders etc.

The second computer is used to run a snapshot obtained from the online computer, for adding or changing the actinic products etc. when you are happy with this take a snapshot and use this snapshot to update the online computer remembering to not update order files
      Chris Ashdown

Comment

I use the same method as Chris as well.
        Regards

Jason

Titan Jewellery (Swift Design)
        Zirconium Rings
        Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

OK, just so I get this right in my head:

PC1 - main PC - downloads orders
          PC2 - secondary PC for website changes & product additions.

PC2 never needs to download orders & this is disabled. Does this PC need to get a snapshot from PC1 before making any changes in order to have an up to date db and not overwrite orders or customer accounts? I tried importing a snapshot to PC1 with overwrite orders disabled & it still got rid of them!

PC2 makes changes & uploads to web or does PC2 make changes & create snapshot, update PC1 then upload from there (i.e. PC1 is the only PC to make any changes live)?

Sorry if this is getting confusing !

R

Comment

I use pc 1 for adding products and downloading orders.

Pc 2 is used for design changes and is only imported to pc 1 when I am happy with the changes and have tested it on another server prior to going live.

Pc 2 is up to date and ready to take over at a moments notice should pc1 fail or crash.
            Regards

Jason

Titan Jewellery (Swift Design)
            Zirconium Rings
            Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

Originally posted by Ruthie

PC1 - main PC - downloads orders
              PC2 - secondary PC for website changes & product additions.
              When synchronising PCs you need to remember you can only go one way.

To get both orders and products onto one PC, you start with PC2, export a snapshot and then import into to PC1, without overwriting order detail.

Then export the resultant snapshot from PC1 and import the snapshot onto PC2 to end up with 2 complete identical copies both with upto date order history and product info.

Comment

Our copy of Actinic catalog is currently set up to process orders and update the designs on one pc, but I want to transfer order processing to another PC.

Do I have to buy another licence?

Comment

No, the licence covers the site (domain name) not the PC.

Actinic provide details on how to set up one machine for design and a separate machine for processing orders in the help documents.
                  Bill
                  www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                  Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                  BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                  Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                  VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                  Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Working...
                  X