Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upload Painfully Slow** 7 Hours

Hi All
    I just uploaded my site..it was painfully slow..it took the whole night..and the site is only 60 M. I have a broadband connection, so I dont think thats the case. I thought this problem with slow Uploads was sorted with ver. 7. I am using passive FT Connection...any ideas?

TIA

Doc,

In the Network Settings window, tick 'Use Enhanced FTP', now click on 'FTP options and enable 'Silent Running', this should make things a lot quicker.

7 hours !!!!! that does sound a bit much.

Kind regards,
    Bruce King
    SellerDeck

Comment

Bruce
      Thanks..I will try that again..do I need user name and passwrd for the SMTP Server?
      cheers
      PS your Cap is cool

Comment

You will only need the username and password for the SMTP if your SMTP server requires Authentication. If you receive mails from Actinic on doing Network test's or on orders being placed etc, then you do not require one.

PS your Cap is cool
        Thanks !!!
        Bruce King
        SellerDeck

Comment

Would purging the Catalog and compacting the databases also help Bruce?
          Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Yes, that would be a worthwhile try, as the compact would remove/free up a lot of space in the Database and make it a lot sleeker. Should help with improving performance.
            Bruce King
            SellerDeck

Comment

Bruce
              two questions..is the upload an incremental upload..i noticed by changting a reference to a link, it sent all the .html files..luckly didnt send all the product images. i hope if i just change few product images it doesnt send all the product images across..

and compacting the db...how does thatwork? is it sent compact and un-compacted on the web serve?
              cheers

Comment

Doc,

The upload only updates new changes, it would appear to send all the html files but is actually checking the files to see if there have been any changes made. If you add a couple of new images then it would only send those images but chec with the server if there have been any new additions.

Compacting the Database basically removes empty spaces etc that are created on deleting products etc, the deletion of a product does not immediately remove the entry from the Database but tells teh Database that the particular row is available for new data and that does not happen till a new entry has been made in the row. Additions usually are done on the next new row in the database, so a compact will in effect create a temporary database by moving the lines/tables to it and then rename the temp Database to the original one, deleting the older Databse. On doing a compact you will notice that the size of teh .mdb file reduces by quite a bit. The Database is not sent to the server, it sits on your PC, but holds the information required to generate the website. Sleeker database means a lot less for Actinic to check.
                Bruce King
                SellerDeck

Comment

Bruce
                  Thanks for your help..I was just chatting with our ISP for shared SSL..they told me there is no client side validation and therefore no userid is required. In the Unlisted provider, for credit card capture..it asks fot userid...do we leave this blank?
                  cheers

Comment

Hi Doc,

You do need a user ID. Now I can see what generated the other thread !!!

Kind regards,
                    Bruce King
                    SellerDeck

Comment

Working...
                    X