Page not found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Page not found

I have been bugged by this issue for quite some time, don't know if there has been any post on it with a fix or reason.

We have a ProLiant G4 server with RHESL-4, Apache 2.0.52, Perl 5.8.5. Every now and then I get a report of an online user getting 'page not found' when using any of our Actinic shop sites. Since there is only one web site on the server it cannot be an overloaded server. We get about 90K unique visitors a month and use about 80Gb bandwidth so the server is just ticking over.

Any ideas out there please?

Bob
    Supporting the environment. This post uses 100% recycled electrons.
    Bob Isaac
    Director/Web Admin
    Volvo Owners Club Ltd

Actinic MS Business Version 8.5.2

Bob,

Is this when they type an address or following a site link? If the latter, is it possible you have a case sensitive error in a link somewhere?

hth
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

This is where a user clicks on a product name in the left hand box of the main catalogue page. If it happened often, or all the time, then the cause could probably be easily tracked down. Hardly a week goes by without my finding these in the server error log.

For example:

We have two Actinic sites on the same domain, each set up correctly in different directories and different script ID numbers. They are totally separated from each other.

So, why is it when a customer is browsing one of the sites gets a 'page not found' error and the server error log shows that the Actinic site is trying to find the page the customer wants but in the other Actinic site. For example.

The two sites are at www.volvoclub.org.uk/shop/ and the other at www.volvoclub.org.uk/acatalog/.

If a customer is in the www.volvoclub.org.uk/acatalog/ site and clicks on a page link - Membership.html - why does Actinic try to find that page in the other site, /shop/??? That is one of the reasons the 'page not found' error happens.

I have not checked yet, but does Actinic use absolute or relative paths?

Bob
      Supporting the environment. This post uses 100% recycled electrons.
      Bob Isaac
      Director/Web Admin
      Volvo Owners Club Ltd

Actinic MS Business Version 8.5.2

Comment

Not checked either, but logic would say that since you are asked to specify a base reference for each shop in Acatalog, I would expect full paths built using the base reference of the current site. That would tend to break your navigation unless you have hardcoded the full URI into the links.
        Bill
        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Working...
        X