X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I product per section redesign question

Hello all,

Having read various posts on here, it looks like having 1 prod per (sub)section is the way forward in terms of SEO.

So, my main question is: Can I lay out my sections in the same way as my products are currently laid out, and then set up the 'additional info' button as a link to the 'product', as opposed to generating a pop up.

If possible I would want a 'buy' button on both the 'section', and the 'product'.

I hope you understand what I mean - if not, let me know.

Nick
    Trying to squeeze my moneys worth out of V7 - but not for much longer!

I agree with Nick, this would be a very useful feature.

For me, it would also be useful to get the customer redirected back to the main section after purchasing the product from this 'new' window rather the back to the 'new' window that the item was purchased from.

Comment

Hi Luddite, yes this is possible (and looks very nice)

The site I am currently building uses this "style"

see the advaned guide page 24 - you will need to follow the instructions for "Creating a Lising Page...." AND "Creating a Page of Thumbnail...."

Also be aware that if things start to "play up" then compact the database as I spend literally days wandering what I was doing wrong when it appears that Actinic was failing to refresh its DB connections

Have a look at my site below (its still in *very* early development phases) but you should see that the effect you descibe is being used on my site.

Be careful though if accessing my site from a "work" location as the content is of an adult nature.

EternalNomad
      http://www.sharedpleasure.com
      Over 2000 items of Adult Toys, Tools, Lingerie, Books and Movies
      EternalNomad

Comment

I'm blushing

Something for everyone on your site! I checked out your 'batteries' section as it looked the safest.
        Thats exactly what I want to do, so thanks for posting. Just got to do it now.
        Nick

Comment

Hi Luddite,

if you need any help with the setup then feel free to drop me an email to

sales@sharedpleasure.com

Happy to help

My next upload of the site includes being able to click on the thumbnail image to take you into the "extra info" screen with the large image (this took some "messing around")
          EternalNomad

Comment

linking product with product in sub section

OK, i'm getting somewhere now.

My first problem now is linking up the new sub section with the product - I realise that makes no sense - so have a look at:
            <link removed>,
            the first product on there (sgt pepper jotter pad) should link to a product in a sub section that has full details. Can I adapt the 'extended info' tab in 'product details' or is their something else I should do? I've tried the 'links' tab on product but no joy either. I have made the new sub section, but you can only see it by clicking the little green dot (where subsection thumbs would normally be).

This isn't the last of my problems, but i'll leave it there for now!

Cheers - Nick

Comment

Creating a Listing Page which Links Through to Details Pages

When using the 1 product per section format, presumably there has to be a NQV in the template to pick up the details on the 'link' tab in prod details. Can anyone tell me what this NQV is as i'm at abit of a loss.

I'm so close to where I want to be, but just can't seem to link between the product and the section (which has the 1 product with more details in).

Anybody know what i'm doing wrong.

(BTW - if it helps - i'm using p24 of the adv user guide to try and do this)

Cheers - Nick

Comment

I use a single product per section also - with parent sections containing duplicate products with short descriptions and smaller pictures etc.
                To be able to click on the duplicate (image or link) then what I do is as follows:
                For the text link -
                I put [LINK] in the description and then configure an Advanced Link with some link text to the product.
                For the image link -
                I have modified my Act_ProductLine template where:
                Code:
                NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTBEGINLINKNETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTIMAGE
                is changed to
                Code:
                <A HREF =http://www.mydomain.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?PRODREF=NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTREFERENCE&NOLOGIN=1 TARGET="_self">
                NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTBEGINLINKNETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTIMAGE 
                </A>
                You can see an example here:
                http://www.fancylines.co.uk/acatalog/Corsets.html
                Note: Adult Lingerie Site

Comment

Thanks Duncan, thats really helpful. I seem to have a different problem now though. Every time I try to edit my brochure templates they end up a complete mess i.e. I end up with 2 prices, 2 titles etc. The templates were built by Gary Hay, and as you probably know Gary isn't active on these boards anymore! I've attached the html for the custom template - i'd be grateful if you (or anyone else) could take a look to see if you can give me any pointers.

HTML Code:
                  <!-- ProductLine HTML begin -->
                  <!-- Insert HTML for the top of the individual product -->
                  <link href="actinic.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

NETQUOTEVAR:INCLUDE Act_ProductSeparator.html NETQUOTEVAR:ENDSEPARATOR NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTFORMBEGIN 
                  <td valign="top"> NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTFORMBEGIN NETQUOTEVAR:TEMPLATEBEGINXML 
                    <table width="150" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" bordercolor="#999999" class="prodbox">
                      <tr> 
                        <td height="80" align="center" valign="middle" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"><font color="909737" size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTIMAGE<a name="NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTANCHOR"> 
                          </a></font></td>
                      </tr>
                      <tr> 
                        <td height="149" align="left" valign="top" bgcolor="#F2F1DC"> 
                          <!--<div align="center"><span class="actxxsmall"><font color="#000000" size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><strong><font size="1">NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTNAME</font></strong></font><font size="1"><br>
                            </font><a name="NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTANCHOR">NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTREF</a>NETQUOTEVAR:VARIANTS<br>
                            NETQUOTEVAR:EXTINFOBUTTONNETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTPRICE</span>
                            <p><span class="actxxsmall"><Actinic:ACTIONS>NETQUOTEVAR:VARIANTADDTOCARTBUTTON</Actinic:ACTIONS></span></p>-->
                          <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
                            <tr valign="top"> 
                              <td height="35" colspan="2"> <div align="center" class="actxxsmall"><strong>NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTNAME</strong></div></td>
                            </tr>
                            <tr valign="top"> 
                              <td height="19" colspan="2">NETQUOTEVAR:VARIANTS</td>
                            </tr>
                            <tr valign="top"> 
                              <td width="57%" height="51">NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTPRICE</td>
                              <td width="43%"><Actinic:ACTIONS><span class="actxxsmall"><font color="#00FF00"><br>
                                <br>
                                </font></span></Actinic:ACTIONS></td>
                            </tr>
                            <tr valign="bottom"> 
                              <td height="23" valign="top">NETQUOTEVAR:EXTINFOBUTTON</td>
                              <td align="right" valign="top">NETQUOTEVAR:VARIANTADDTOCARTBUTTON</td>
                            </tr>
                          </table></td>
                      </tr>
                    </table>
                    NETQUOTEVAR:TEMPLATEENDXML NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTFORMEND</td>
                  NETQUOTEVAR:NEXT
                  NETQUOTEVAR:ENDSEPARATOR
                  NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTFORMBEGIN
                    <table width="150" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" bordercolor="#999999" class="prodbox">
                      <tr> 
                        <td height="80" align="center" valign="middle" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"><font color="909737" size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTIMAGE<a name="NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTANCHOR"> 
                          </a></font></td>
                      </tr>
                      <tr> 
                          <!--<div align="center"><span class="actxxsmall"><font color="#000000" size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><strong><font size="1">NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTNAME</font></strong></font><font size="1"><br>
                            </font><a name="NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTANCHOR">NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTREF</a>NETQUOTEVAR:VARIANTS<br>
                            <p><span class="actxxsmall"><Actinic:ACTIONS>NETQUOTEVAR:VARIANTADDTOCARTBUTTON</Actinic:ACTIONS></span></p>-->
                            <tr valign="top"> 
                              <td height="35" colspan="2"> <div align="center" class="actxxsmall"><strong>NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTNAME</strong></div></td>
                            </tr>
                            <tr valign="top"> 
                            </tr>
                            <tr valign="top"> 
                              <td width="43%"><Actinic:ACTIONS><span class="actxxsmall"><font color="#00FF00"><br>
                                <br>
                            </tr>
                            <tr valign="bottom"> 
                            </tr>
                          </table></td>
                      </tr>
                    </table>
                    NETQUOTEVAR:TEMPLATEENDXML NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTFORMEND </td>
                  NETQUOTEVAR:ENDSEPARATOR
                  NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTFORMBEGIN
                      <tr> 
                          </a></font></td>
                      </tr>
                      <tr> 
                            <tr valign="top"> 
                              <td height="35" colspan="2"> 
                                <div align="center" class="actxxsmall"><strong>NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTNAME</strong></div></td>
                            </tr>
                            <tr valign="top"> 
                            </tr>
                            <tr valign="top"> 
                                <br>
                            </tr>
                            <tr valign="bottom"> 
                            </tr>
                          </table></td>
                      </tr>
                    </table>
                    NETQUOTEVAR:TEMPLATEENDXML NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTFORMEND </td>

<!-- Insert HTML for the bottom of the individual product -->
                  <!-- ProductLine HTML end -->

Comment

Each occurrence of NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTNAME will translate to the Product name, and each occurrence of NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTPRICE will translate to the price.

Which one of the two showing do you want to keep?
                    Bill
                    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Bill - this really does prove that you sometimes need a fresh pair of eyes! I've been looking at this bloody template all day and hadn't noticed the duplication.
                      I still don't fully understand why, as this code stands, it only generates 1 price, 1 name etc - but as soon as I try and edit it it shows the duplicated NQV's - but thats a problem for another day.

Back to the drawing board (tomorrow though - can't face it now, and theres footie on the telly tonight!)

Nick

Comment

This one
                        Code:
                        is almost commented out, If there was a space between the initial <!-- and the <div> tag, and another between the <p> tag and the --> it would be commented out correctly. That portion of code would then not be processed by Actinic and there would be no duplication.
                        Bill
                        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

I'm nearly there with this. The only thing left for me to sort out is changing what the 'more details' button does. At present, it opens a pop-up, but I want it to open my new section (with 1 product in it). Help!
                          Nick

Comment

Nick - have you tried using the [LINK] option instead?

Bikster
                            SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

It won't work for some reason - what NQV would it correspond to?
                              Nick

Edit: Jont, my templates were 'custom' made by Gary Hay, so maybe he didn't include the necessary code/NQV's to make the [LINK] option work?

Comment

Working...
                              X