Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you recommend upgrading v4.1 to v5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

I've been out of the loop for a LONG time so haven't kept up to date with the forum (oops!)

I'm considering upgrading to v5 (I've had it on the shelf for over a year untouched!).

When we upgraded from v3 to v4 we had a lot of problems which was kinda offputting for future upgrades. Plus, when v5 first came on the scene, there were alot of forum discussions on upgrade problems.

- What is the situation now?
    - Would people who have upgraded recommend it?
    - Any upgrade issues that we should be aware of?

I'm aware I could instead go to v6 now, although I don't really want to spend any more money!!

Many thanks in anticipation!
    Mox

To be honest, if you had problems with the auto upgrade when you tried to go to v5 the first time, then it would be unlikely that the last v5.x would be any different.

Generally, it wasnt the software or the upgrader at fault, but the custom elements within the templates that caused most problems...

Have to admit that sometime perfectly default v4 sites did have the occasional hick-up when going to v5, but this required slight movement of some elements and removal (due to no longer being needed) of others.

Comment

Upgrade to V6 forget about 5
      Owner of a broken heart

Comment

Yes I agree go straight to 6.

Comment

I'd go straight to 6, just because it's much better and you only have to go through the upgrade once.

Every time I've upgraded the upgrader makes a right pigs ear of it (I use customised templates) even the upgrade from 6.0.2 to 6.1.2 kept crashing on one of my sites.

I've now decided that when I upgrade I tell it to just use the new templates. I then use a 3rd party file comparer to show me what the changes are. It's much easier and less hassle.

Mike
          -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

upgrading from v4.1?

Many thanks for all your replies!

Is v6 stable?

Most new software versions go through some teething problems - is v6 past this now?!!

TIA!
            Mox

http://www.dirtbikestore.com

Comment

V6 has just had its latest patch released bringing it upto 6.1.2 I think as of 15th April, which was to sort our a number of bugs introduced into the v6 line and rectify some created in another patch, but things are looking good at the moment with 6.1.2, but as always there could be something lurking behind the scenes yet to come out, but Actinic have improved no end in conducting updates or providing assistance in solving problems until a patch is released again.

Comment

Upgrading v4.1?

Ok, many thanks.

I'll download a trial version and give it a whirl!!

Cheers
                Mox

Comment

But then if you don't upgrade please put the norton patch on your site.. May save you from loosing customers, who can't add to the cart because of their firewall etc.. (like me)
                  Jenny
                  Hanson Web Design
                  www.hansonwebdesign.co.uk
                  jenny@hansonwebdesign.co.uk
                  Actinic hosting, Actinic Software, template design and re-design

Comment

Sorry, Norton patch? I'm unfamiliar with this....what is it for?....what does it do?.....how do I get it?????!!!!!

Thanks in advance
                    Mox

Comment

It's on the download page at http://www.actinicdownloads.com/v4/index.htm It will explain all!
                      Jenny
                      Hanson Web Design
                      www.hansonwebdesign.co.uk
                      jenny@hansonwebdesign.co.uk
                      Actinic hosting, Actinic Software, template design and re-design

Comment

Ah ha! Thanks Jenny - now makes A LOT more sense!!

Cheers
                        Mox

Comment

Working...
                        X