Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Question

Hello there,

I'm a student, and I have a question about Actinic ver 4. Please forgive my lack of knowledge.

For a coursework I have to build a mock website. The coursework states that I have to produce a small catalogue, with a front page and logo.

So is it possible to create a front page (Index.html), then have a link on the front page which takes me to the front page of the catalogue. As you know the index.html is the catalogue front page. If I change the catalogues front page from index.html (because you cannot have 2 index.html), would I have to change the html in the rest of the other pages?

Hope you understand what I'm asking.

Thank you very much for your time.

Spencer

You're posting on the V4 forum where most people will be a bit hazy about operational details as Actinic is now on V7.

Anyway. I think V4 Actinic puts the catalog in an acatalog folder within your existing site. That's where the shop's index.html ends up, so shouldn't interfere with your existing site in any way.

Of you use the most recent version things are a bit different. V7 allows the catalog to also have a Brochure section that is intended for a home and general info pages. In this case Actinbic does generate a root level index.html. However you can rename this page (or disable the entire brochure generation).
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Hi NormanRouxel,

I have to do this site using the Universities copy, and they are using version 4. So I have to use version 4. I have asked for them to upgrades, but they will not. Cheap skates !!!

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

Spence

Comment

Hi there again.

I'm trying to find out some of the obvious limitations of Actinic ver 4. The problem is, I have only used ver 4. So I cannot compare it to other versions. Is there a resource anywhere that could help me out.

I only need a few points. I have managed to make a site with Vers 4. The site was easy to make, so I don't really have anything negative about it...

Thank you for any and all help.

Spencer

Comment

There's an upgrade guide on the web that you can use to see what features you will get by upgrading to v7 from v4. It is here: http://www.actinic.co.uk/v7/acatalog/index.html

It is linked to somewhere from our site, but I can never remember where.

Hope you find it useful.

Comment

Thank you very much indeed.

Have a nice day

Spencer

Comment

create a page called index.html inthe root of your webspace

then place a link on it to acatalog/index.html

thus you can have 2 index pages but they won't interfere with each other as they are in different folders

it is better to call the "shop" front page in the acatalog folder index as this will then mask all other files inthe folder.

having built your site in V4, you could now download the trial version of V7, you will have 30 days to evaluate, just by using v7 you will be able to see how the product has grown..

You can can both v4 and v7 on the same Pcas their installations are independant of each other

Comment

Working...
              X