Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP!, what's wrong with this picture!!

Hi everyone,

I've just completed my first actinic website and thought everything was looking nice and tidy UNTIL I viewed the website on my mac at work. The same thing happens when viewed through firefox. I've researched the problem and think the culprit is the table that's created and wrapped around the section links. I'm surprised that the space between section links is not, it seems, more easily editable. Eveything looks correct in Internet Explorer. Please take a look! Maybe I should have kept things a little looser?!.

www.gardengadgets.co.uk

This has mightily frustrated me so ANY advice or thoughts would be most appreciated. I've tried to keep the site simple(ish) so that the client can have a snapshot and upload and edit the products themselves.

Cheers!, Mont.x

Is your site up now as I couldn't get a peek with the latest Explorer?

Duncan
    Ph: 0845 838 1 839

Comment

It looks as though you have the whole style statement as well as the link to the style statement in the Act_SectionLine.html template.

There is also a <body> tag in there on every iteration of the template. A web page can only have one body.

You need to move the link to the css above the head tag in your Act_Primary.html and clean out the Act_SectionLine.html template to contain only the table and style references needed for presentation.

The Actinic model builds a web page from several templates. One page might consists of:

an overall layout page (Act_Primary)
      which contains ALL the style sheet references, and javascript function code and references, and meta tags and an opening <body tag

which reads in and shows the Item Navigation templates(Act_NavigationItem) and any Navigation images (Act_NavigationImage), your site logo(Act_LogoImage)
      then reads and shows any header template information(Act_Header)
      then reads in and shows the section template(s)(Act_SectionLine)
      then reads in and shows any footer template information(Act_Footer)

before returning to Act_Primary for a fixed footer data (like the powered by logo for Actinic) and finally the closing html </body> tag.

only the Act_Primary in this example should have an html body tag. None of the other templates in this example are designed to be used as stand alone pages. All are intended to form a small part of an overall page.
      Bill
      www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
      Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
      BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
      Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
      VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
      Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Thanks William and Duncan, the site is indeed up and running now. Is Explorer somehow, more forgiving with bad code than Mozilla based browsers? as I still would like to know why the site looks and works as expected in Explorer but not in Firefox, Safari etc. By the way, I have actinic loaded on my laptop at home with a standard, un-customized theme and the section links behave differently when previewed in various browsers with that aswell!?

Comment

The current version of IE is very forgiving of bad code. You should always check the site using FF or Mozilla as these give the best indication towards code compliancy even though most of the planet is still using IE.

The soo to be released version of IE is meant to be more strict in its displaying of standardised code - time will tell - even so it is always all good idea to get the site code working correctly across all browing platforms.

Having 2 <body> tags in the page code may be coming from a CMV you are calling into the page as a HTML page

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Yes, you just hit the nail on the head.

Microsoft does not follow the Internet Standards and so to accommodate the strange code produced by their products Publisher and Frontpage, they make IE ignore the bits that don't work properly.

This allows other people's broken code to also work reasonably well in IE, while Browsers such as Firefox that follow the Internet Standards more closely either don't work with the broken code - or show that it is broken by visibly showing the page differently.

If you get that css stylesheet link sorted into the head of the Act_Primary and clean out htos body tags, the size of your page will shrink to about 35% of what it is now, and will not only look better in a real browser, but will load in less than half the time.
            Last edited by wjcampbe; 20-Nov-2005, 05:13 PM. Reason: spelling
            Bill
            www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
            Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
            BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
            Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
            VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
            Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Thankyou everyone for your input . . .

Maybe, the tip about previewing in Firefox should be included in the Actinic User Guide?, if it isn't already.

I've had some success with the display problem, there's a line of HTML in Design|Text|HTML at 1189:

<TD WIDTH="%d%%" valign="top">

I repeated this at the start of my sectionlink template and now everything looks right in Firefox aswell as Explorer on both Macs and PC's. No joy with safari though.

Maybe not the correct way of fixing the problem but a solution none the less.

Montoid
              gardengadgets.co.uk

Comment

Working...
              X