Setting up SSL with 1&1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up SSL with 1&1

I know there's been quite a bit of correspondence on this, and I've had a good paddle about, but I'm still stuck with some hopefully easy questions. I'm using the Professional package with 1&1 which includes a certificate from Geotrust. Norman Rouxel's posts have got me as far as:

Have set up a subdomain: www.secure.mydomain.co.uk
    Have pointed this to the root (/)
    (plus he has provided Actinic settings to be used once SSL is set up - thank you!)

I now want to set up SSL to apply to the subdomain only, through the 1&1 control panel - there seem to be two options - set up certificate, set up shared SSL. Will setting up the certificate enable SSL as well, or is there a separate process for setting up SSL on the sub-domain before the certificate is set up? This should be easy, but what is confusing me is that if setting up the certificate is the way of applying SSL to the sub-domain, presumably the certificate will have the sub-domain's URL (eg www.secure.mydomain.co.uk)on it rather than the whole site (eg www.mydomain.co.uk), whereas I have seen Actinic sites using 1&1 where only the checkout is held in a SSL sub-domain (eg www.secure.mydomain.co.uk), but the Geotrust certificate has the whole site URL on it (eg www.mydomain.co.uk).

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

We're on a 1&1 pro package and as far as I remember, setting up the certificate enables the SSL. But if you've got the professional package, then 1&1 have a free phone support number (which is alot better than the usual one) and they'll should be able to guide you in the right direction.
    David
    Mandrake Press Ltd

<a href="http://www.mandrake-press.co.uk" target="_blank">www.mandrake-press.co.uk</a>

Comment

Thanks David - I have talked to 1&1 and Actinic more than once each now and I'm not getting very far, except to say that creating a subdomain ("third level domain", eg www.secure.mysite.com) and applying the certificate just to that seems to be right (although I am still no further with where the subdomain should point to), rather than applying the certificate to the whole domain. I notice that www.mandrake-press.co.uk is doing exactly what I want to do with the Geotrust certificate - when you go into checkout you go to https://www.mandrake-press.co.uk, not to a subdomain - how did you do that?? Did you create a subdomain and apply the certificate just to that subdomain? Thank you in advance for your help. Mark.

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

See my reply on the other thread.

http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=13315

Mike
        -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
        X