Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dynamic Data / External Links to MySQL Database...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dynamic Data / External Links to MySQL Database...

Has anyone really got to grips with Dynamic Data rather than a static site... ?

The obvious problems that I continue to run into is that as a designer and webmaster my general working practice includes MySQL as a standard source for pricing / product information with PHP dynamically generated pages.

The external links feature of Actinic works to a point but does not allow for components.

This feature is required so that my client can make instant price / date changes to this system. I would like to continue with Actinic order processing etc... Although not sure this can be achieved...

So my options are...
    1, Change the product base so that there are no components (this will dramatically increase the number of products in the system, as all variants of a product will have to be entered as a seperate top level product).
    2, Completely redeisgn the site to take into account a general set of PHP variables generated from SQL queries. This would require the complete removal of Actinic from the site ( not my favourite choice ).
    3, (if possible) remove actinic as a design authority yet keep payment gateway / scripts / order processing components of Actinic.

Any help or advice would be very welcome...

Need to decide best course of action...
    Dean Hurley
    Sumo Webdesign

Have you considered using associated products for the components? This should allow the prices to be linked externally for the associated products and the components to pick up the associated product prices.

Kind regards,
    Bruce King
    SellerDeck

Comment

This sounds promising Bruce...

My familiarity with these specific Actinic features is Grim

I would be greatfull if you could provide a couple of more specific pointers... I have played with external links... although the rest of your post im not sure what to do....

Much appreciated ...

Comment

What you will need to do is to create hidden products on the site for each component / attribute / choice. Now on the component,( if it does not have an attribute and choices below it) you will be able to use the 'Associated Product' dropdown and select the hidden product that relates to it. If the component has an attribute and choices, you will notice that you have a new tab on teh component level that says 'Permutations', clicking the 'Fill List' option on teh permutations tab will bring in the choices you have created below the attribute, you will notice that it will give you the name of the attribute / choice, Valid selectable checkbox, Pricing dropdown, Price, Product Drop down - this is where you can associate a choice to a hidden product on the store, and the last two options, Name from Associated Product and Tax from associated product. If you associate teh choice to a product using the Product drop down, you will notice that on the pricing column you will have a new option, "Associated Product".

You can now link the products to the external data and have the component take the price from the product.

Kind regards,
        Bruce King
        SellerDeck

Comment

Working...
        X