Testing an redesigned site alongside the original version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing an redesigned site alongside the original version

I'm coming to the final stages of redesigning a site for a client. Does anyone have any experience of uploading the new site while the original version remains live?

I just want to do some testing to make sure it all works properly but it can't impact on the existing site. Is it as simple as changing the host directory in their webspace and uploading it in test mode?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Charles

Have you checked out the info in the Advanced User Guide regarding this? Uploading to a different area with a different script ID should allow the 2 to run side by side - this is often done by developers on their own servers to show clients a working copy before going live.

Best to check for any orders before publishing mind.... just in case

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Doesnt seem to be anything in there about it (unless I'm being dense). Thats why I thought I would stick something on the forum instead. I might call Actinic and see what they have to say about it.

Cheers
      Charles

Comment

In the AUG

Running Multiple Actinic Stores On One Website ........ page 46

Bikster
        SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Is it as simple as changing the host directory in their webspace and uploading it in test mode?
          Test mode automatically installs the new catalog into the new directory (which it creates) acatalog/test. It also generates a unique new CGI-ID number.

This is doing nothing that you can't do manually, but is (I guess) intended for non-technical end users who need an occasional test setup.
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Working...
          X