Crystal reports 8.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crystal reports 8.5

Does anybody know where I can buy this program from? I contacted businessobject through their site a cople of times, but they have not replied.

Thanks for any help.

Chris

It is still available from people on ebay at very attractive prices (you have to carry out the usual checks). I also found about 10 other sources in a quick google search.

Unfortunately, it is getting rarer. BO do have an online purchase option available.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Thank you Bill,

BO only seem to have versions 9 and 10 available. I had not thought of ebay but now I have looked there is a copy on there now.

Thanks for your help

Chris

Comment

To buy it from Business Objects you have to buy the latest version and then apply for a downgrade. You also have to buy the professsional or developer version in order to be able to apply for a downgrade. Once you have downgraded, you end up with an unsupported piece of software that you cannot upgrade - not the best of deals in my opinion.

You seem to be able to buy it here :

http://www.pyramid.com/Product.aspx?StockCode=481168

Regards,
        Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
        Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
        A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
        Product Mash for Sellerdeck
        Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
        Multichannel order processing
        Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Enquiries about Crystal reports seem to crop up fairly often, so I have a couple of questions for the Actinic bods about this:

1) Can Actinic give a firm commitment as to whether or not they intend to continue with version 8.5 for the foreseeable future. I'd hate to splash out on one of these rare beasts, only to find Actinic 8/9/10 has moved on to one of the newer Crystal reports versions.

2) Is there any way of Actinic licensing this product, so that they can supply us with a cut down version at a nice cut down price?
          I'd guess that most of us simply want it to do some simple tweaks to our reports, and create new simple reports, rather than anything fancy.
          Quite often you can obtain an older version of software free via a computer mag mount. Software developers seem happy to do this on the premise that once you've tried it, you may want to upgrade to the latest version at some point.

Maybe Actinic could make an approach to obtaining a cheap reseller licence on this now 'old' piece of software, to provide to those of us that want it at a knock down price.

Just a thought...

Martin

Comment

Originally posted by fleetwood
            '2) Is there any way of Actinic licensing this product, so that they can supply us with a cut down version at a nice cut down price?
            I looked at doing this a while ago but the licensing model offered by Business Objects (who provide crystal reports) means that is costs almost the same to sell a license for the distributable designer (which is the simple thingy that lets you edit your reports) as it does to sell the full product.

Regards,
            Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
            Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
            A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
            Product Mash for Sellerdeck
            Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
            Multichannel order processing
            Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

We haven't upgraded from Crystal 8.5 because of the amount of work we would have to do for no user benefit.

Our eventual goal is to be able to change reports from within Actinic. Unfortunately, this isn't happening in v8 and we're also not planning a change of Crystal report version either.

So it's safe to buy Crystal 8.5 for the medium future.

Chris

Comment

Thanks Jan & Chris

Comment

Crystal Reports 8.5

I am new to Actinic, we purchased it in June this year. I too am very disappointed to find that a product such as this only works with an unsupported product like Crystal 8.5.
                  When is this going to change? I simply cannot be expected to pay such a lot for a piece of software to make our invoices look better!!, after all the standard invoice prints fields like how the customer heard about us. I'm afraid its just not good enough Actinic. MS Visual Studio gives you a Crystal Reports module and I'd much rather pay for that . Guy
                  Guy Bodger

Luxury pure wool Duvets, Underblankets, Pillows, Aromatherapy Pillows, Magnetic Therapy Underblankets, Baby Rugs and Pet Beds

Comment

Guy,

It is in appreciation of your point of view that forum members such as Mole End (jan) offer a one time document design service for a miniscule fraction of the cost of the Crystal Software.
                    Bill
                    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

I have always found the lack of an invoice editing feature astonishing. While Mole End provide an editing service, the fact that an 'out-of-the-box' e-commerce solution - which heavily emphasises customisation as a strong-point - won't allow you to change even the wording on your company invoice is surely a huge issue.

Very disapointed - and surprised - that there are no developments in this regard with v8.
                      www.gbradley.co.uk
                      Web Development, Actinic Patches, Scripts & more

Comment

Originally posted by Kermy
                        I have always found the lack of an invoice editing feature astonishing.
                        Too true - which is why I have to invoice outside of Actinic (adding to the overall process)

Bikster
                        SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

I can't disagree with the points that are made.

What I can do is offer an explanation - little comfort I know - but it does provide some background context.

We originally went with Crystal reports as it provided flexible report writing with no run-time distribution cost. This wasn't ideal, as anyone wanting to make a change had to purchase Crystal, but it was a reasonable compromise.

Unfortunately, Crystal made some major changes after 8.5. This meant that to continue using the latest Crystal we had to do loads of re-work. As our eventual objective is to provide the ability to freely change report layouts not using Crystal, this re-work didn't seem to be worth it.

Unfortunately, we haven't yet been able to do the work to provide this free editing capability yet, although v8 should provide the technical platform on which we can build this.

So apologies again. We are aware of the problem, and we do have a plan to address it. Unfortunately not immediately.

Chris

Comment

Thanks for the info Chris

Bikster
                            SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Hi All,
                              Thanks for all your comments, doesn't Microsoft have a reporting tool now? or just VB reports would do me - so come on Actinic get some plans in the pipeline to get this sorted. The cost of ownership of Actinic goes up it you have to pay for software or simple/essential changes to use the product.
                              Regards Guy
                              Guy Bodger

Luxury pure wool Duvets, Underblankets, Pillows, Aromatherapy Pillows, Magnetic Therapy Underblankets, Baby Rugs and Pet Beds

Comment

Working...
                              X