Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comms Error

Hi All
    I was just doing a test from the Advanced Network Settings for my site and had this comms error:

Actinic Mail Test completed successfully
    server: passed
    connection: passed
    sockets: passed
    communications: failed
    authorisation: passed
    message: sorry, that domain isn't allowed to be relayed thru this MTA (#5.7.1)

What does this mean and how do i srt it out?

TIA

What host are you using, and is the email address entered in your network settings the same one you use in your business settings? Are both addresses set up on your web host provided email address?

The mail should be something like sales@yourshopdomain.com
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Originally posted by wjcampbe
      What host are you using, and is the email address entered in your network settings the same one you use in your business settings? Are both addresses set up on your web host provided email address?

The mail should be something like sales@yourshopdomain.com
      Bill
      There is no email setting in Network Setup..it only asks for the SMTP server. I have not put anything for user name or password.
      I do have the email address in Business setting.
      The only difference between Business setting and Network Setup is that in business settings the website address is www.mydomain.com whereas in Network setup the website url is mydomain.com...

Comment

Sorry, yes - I could have worded that better. Network Settings URL should be the same as Business Settings Website address, so add the www to network settings - if you find the site does not work with www - take it out of both.

In Business Settings you have an email address listed on the Company/Contact page. That should be an address on your domain and is where the mails sent by the server appear to come from.

The SMTP server address in Network Settings is the one needed to send email from the webhost and will be something like smtp.yourwebhost.co.uk - if it requires authorisation, then you would enter the same email address as used in Business Settings and the correct password for that account.

Without knowing which host you are using it is very hard to say exactly what the settings should be. One thing that often works regardless of host is to put only the word localhost in the smtp box and ensure the 'Username and Password required' box is NOT ticked.
        Last edited by wjcampbe; 04-Dec-2005, 05:02 PM. Reason: spelling
        Bill
        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

It is quiet confusing.
          www.mydomainname.com
          and
          mydomainname.com
          behave differently in browsers and specially with an SSL digital cert.
          If you sign a Cert for mydomainname.com and the user types in www.mydomainname.com they get a message saying this site is not trusted...so I always make sure everything is www.mydomainname.com and not mix and match..

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
            so I always make sure everything is www.mydomainname.com and not mix and match..

This the best way to do it.
            I don't think network setting have any effect on whether the site loads to mydomain or www.mydomain - that depends on how your server is configured.

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
              This the best way to do it.
              I don't think network setting have any effect on whether the site loads to mydomain or www.mydomain - that depends on how your server is configured.
              Aparently..SSL certificates tend to differentiate between the two..hence the untrusted message to the end user

Comment

Working...
              X