Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hierarchical Import Error

Hi,

I exported a hierarchical file to a spread sheet so that I could alter prices ( I added two columns to the sheet, one with consecutive numbers for sorting and one for a formula to increase prices, which I then removed when I had completed the update and tried to ensure that the sheet was back to how it was originally).

I then imported the sheet back into Actinic and I got the following typical error message against all my product lines...

Line 41: Wrong number of fields. Expected 58 but got 57.

(with the Line: 41 number changing for each product).

I checked my spread sheet and there are 58 fields (Product Reference to Thumbnail) plus Header:Product. I checked my mapping and it is correct at 58

Could any one tell me how I find out which field is not importing and why.

Kind regards

Rob Lane
    Rob Lane
    www.DATARAX.co.uk

Check if there is data in every column in the first line (especially the last). Reorder the columns if necessary to get data in the last column.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Hi Bill,

I am not quie sure what I should check(is the first line Header:Section to Page Title) or how to re order columns.
      What was interesting is that as a test I exported a hierarchical file and immediately imported it back and got the same error message.
      Rob Lane
      www.DATARAX.co.uk

Comment

Some versions of Excel don't seems to save as csv or tab delimited files correctly. I was recently making a Kelkoo feed and had a problem where the last field for every record was supposed to be empty - Excel only added tabs to the first 16 rows. I can re-create this with any test file and it always gives the same problem.

As Bill says wherever possible rearrange your fields so that the last field in the last row always contains data. If you can't then use another editor and add the tabs or commas using a macro or manually.

Most imports and feeds will accept fields in any order so long as the headings are correct.

Duncan R

Comment

You can check to see if you have data in the last field for the product on lline 41 (or 42). If not then just put something there and re-try.

Another thing I usually do when I have problems importing is to simplify the import to just one product or section, as a process of elimination.

It might also be worth compacting your database before importin. Make a database backup just in case as well - it's easy to mess up when importing.

Duncan R

Comment

Hi Bill & Duncan,

I did what you both sugggested and eventually managed to import the info after two days of trying (and making other changes).

I thought it would have been easier than it was!!

Thanks ever so much for your help.

Kind regards

Rob
            Rob Lane
            www.DATARAX.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X