Attributes and Components

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attributes and Components

I have 3 attributes under a single component, and each attribute has more than one choice. I've clustered the attributes under a single component because there are permutations for the choices, each with different prices.

At checkout the attributes and choices within the component all appear on the same line. Is there any way of having the attributes and choices on different lines without creating several components?

Thanks

Julian

Must you have them all under one component?

If you create 3 and then check "component on separate order line", this would solve it.

Comment

Hi Lee

The reason I have them all under one component is that there are permutations for the choices within the component. Each permutation has a different price:

e.g. choice of thin brown sunglass lenses = £50
      choice of thick brown lenses = £30
      choice of thick green lenses = £40

I have put the choices "green" "brown" "thick" and "thin" under the component "lenses".

Unless the choices are under the same component I can't seem to create permutations for them.

Regards

Julian

Comment

Hi Julian

By adding attributes and choices to a component, you get a permutations tab on each. I would create a base price for the product and then include the additional costs of the selected items via the permutations tab.

You dont need them all sitting under the same component to be able to permutate. Each choice you have will impact the cost.

i.e glasses cost £30 whatever, so £30 is my base price. then add £10 for thick lenses, or £5 for thin lenses etc

Comment

Hi Lee

Having played aroung with it for the last day or so, I think the problem I have is that I can't permutate the choices I need unless they are all under the same component.

The alternative, as you suggest, is to create separate components and attributes. The problem with this is that there are so many combinations of choices, the list of choices available to each customer for each combination would be very long (e.g. there are 3 colour choices, 3 lens type choices, and 3 lens thickness choices - giving a total of 27 different combinations. This is simply too many to list on the site for customers to make their selection.

Regards

Julian

Comment

Julian

I understand where you are coming from, however i disagree slightly. You do not need to tell the customer the price of every different combination possible, all you need to do is say the price impact of each choice.

For example:

First component (drop down) is for colour. If these have differing prices, then via permutations, include the extra on each. If they have no impact on price or all 3 options are the same cost i.e. doesn't matter which colour you choose, then include the cost in the base price and mention in the description that 3 different colours are available.

Green
            Brown
            Blue

Second component is for lens type. Include the cost of each on permutations.

Reactive - £2.50
            Scratch resistant - £5.00
            Thin reactive lens - £10.00

Third component is for thickness choice. Include the cost on permutations.

Thick - £0.00
            Medium - £2.50
            Thin - £5.00

So worst scenario is having to list 9 possibilities, detailing the amount that each option costs.

Best scenario is when the component choices all impact the price the same as customer doesn't need to be informed as the price can be included in the base price.

So in summary, after your description of the glasses you would have either 2 or 3 drop down boxes showing the 3 different choices in each. In your description field you would detail the ones that add to the price and not the ones that don't. There is no need to show all 27 combos.

Glasses nowadays have so many choices, when i go to specsavers i am amazed at how many choices i have. Having 3 drop down boxes, where i had to choose one option out of each would not be a hassle at all, it would be something i would expect.

If you list your options and their impact on price, i will set a dummy page on my site and show you the best way to do it if you like.

Cheers

Lee

Comment

Hi Lee

Your reply has certainly helped clarify my thinking. I am going to do as you suggest and republish the site. Perhaps you could have a look when I have made the amendments.

Many thanks for your help.

site is www.posheyes.co.uk

Comment

Sure thing, just post in here when its done and i will take a look.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                X