Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok v urgent but quick question!

I *think* my (2 month old!) PC is kaput
    I have Actinic installed on the laptop but it's not got my most recently added stock on it.
    Question. If I download my orders that I have waiting to be downloaded... what is Actinic going to do if it tries to download an item that isn't on this catalogue on the laptop, if you follow me?
    Is it going to crash? Lose all the data?
    Anybody know for sure what it will do?
    Thanks
    Tracey (feeling sick knowing that I may have lost months of catalogue data thanks to my most recent snapshots being to the hard drive that is now inaccessible (although I'm still optimistic that someone can fix it!!))
    Tracey

Tracey,

I don't know what will happen if actinic finds an unrecognisable product, sorry.

In terms of your dead PC. Is there just the one hard drive in it? if you've been backing up to second hard drive then that can easily be moved to a working PC (or loaded into an external drive unit and accessed via USB).

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

if you have the laptop set to download orders only, it shouldn't give a toss as to the contents of the catalog.

I run 2 copies of surfwax which are completely unsync-ed. I do the product uploads, I have an admin person who does the downloads. We both up/down load regularly. My machine is set to catalog maintentance, the other is set to download.

Thus set your laptop to download, do your download, then reset it to all options and upload.

Re backups - I've found a neat piece of software called 2nd copy. I run this on my network all the time, it copies data to an external hard drive every 2 hours. I run the usual nightly backups too.

Comment

oh thats interesting!
        So it'll download all the orders and orderlines ok then?
        What does it do about stock control then? I mean, it's going to be trying to deplete stock on items not in its catalogue, isn't it?
        IF I can get it all downloaded on the laptop and just keep a record of product references to alter if/when I get the original PC back up and running, that'd b a HUGE weight off my mind (downside being stock levels on site will be incorrect though)
        As for backups... we do have a removeably hard drive which I always used to back up onto before we bought the new PC. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to get it set up on the new PC for some reason so I was backing up to the same (C) drive in case of software error really.
        Hadn't expected the C-drive-failure type problem!
        I'm hoping it's fixable (I know it should be!) and tomorrow this will all just feel like a BAD dream!

My 5 year olds take on this matter this morning?
        "Mummy, you'll have to watch TV all day today because your computer is broken!"
        Bless him! If only!
        Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by budgetbumps
          "Mummy, you'll have to watch TV all day today because your computer is broken!" Bless him! If only!
          Diagnosis Murder gets my vote.

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

not on any more jont! It's Murder She Wrote (last time I looked, 10 days or so ago?)
            Tracey (big fan of DM!)
            Tracey

Comment

I didn't think about stock control, ....sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
                I didn't think about stock control, ....sorry!
                No matter Jo.
                The odd duplicated order and stock control is minor compared to not being able to retrieve orders at all!!
                I've changed the settings on the laptop to order processing only and I'll worry about the stock changes when (if) I get the PC sorted!
                Tracey

Comment

Working...
                X