Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gift Vouchers

Hi all,

I have been asked repeatedly if we do gift vouchers and want to set this up. I have read other threads where they appear to have sorted out the problem of free P&P on vouchers alone by basing the shipping on weight. That's fine, but we also offer free P&P on orders above £75 - as far as I can see I cannot implement both. I don't want to lose the free P&P above £75 as it's very popular with our customers. We currently have a standard charge of £2.99 in place on all orders below £75, but obviously I don't want to charge P&P on gift vouchers orders alone which are mailed electronically.

So, how the heck do I go about this? Payment is taken immediately on all orders by credit/debit card so I can't just deduct the P&P when processing the order. I could of course go back and refund the postage manually, but that means we incur a charge on the amount twice - I'm not keen on going down that route. Not very professional either!

I would have thought that gift voucher would be integrated into any substantial shopping system, it's rather baffling, and very frustrating, that Actinic lack this feature.

Please please help me, I am hoping to get this all implemented by the end of the weekend.

Thanks guys!

Karen
    Kind Regards
    Karen

Charmed Cards & Crafts

I'm not sure there's an easy way to do this, but this should work:

1. Set shipping by weight.
    2. Set each product weight to be equal to it's value.
    3. Set gift vouchers to have a weight of zero.

Now set up your shipping table to be:

0.1kg 0.0
    75 kg Standard shipping charge

Set "if shipping band not defined - Use default charge" = 0.0

although you might want to just set a very high value (maybe 2000Kg 0.0) to avoid setting a default shipping value of 0.

Setting the weight equal to the value is going to be a pain if you have a lot of items. If you're familiar with access you could probably automate this, but I'd only recommend it if you're confident you muck anything up. Also be sure to back up your database before just in case.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions but I am not keen on trawling through 8000+ products to set each to a weight. Isn't there an easier option??? <SOB>

Thanks in advance.

Karen
      Kind Regards
      Karen

Charmed Cards & Crafts

Comment

Originally posted by KarenBM
        I would have thought that gift voucher would be integrated into any substantial shopping system, it's rather baffling, and very frustrating, that Actinic lack this feature.
        It lacks a lot of very important and sometimes simple features.

It seems to get Actinic to do a number of things you need to purchase ever more add ons.

Comment

Karen,

There is an easier way, in Business Settings | Shipping & Handling .. Set calculation Basis by weight, In each of the shipping classes set a weight of 0.00 = £0.00 and in the next row a value weight 0.25 = £2.99, Set 'Excess' to, take highest value in Table. At the bottom find "Default Weight in Kg's" enter 0.25 here, this means you do not need to enter weights against each product, you will only need to do it for the gift vouchers, set weight here to 0.00 let the product weights remain blank, Actinic will then take teh default weight as there is no weight defined. Retain the 'Free Over' at £75.00. Click on apply.

Update the site and test it out. I have and it works fine.

Kind regards,
          Bruce King
          SellerDeck

Comment

Bruce thank you!!! That worked a treat! I could kiss you!

Thanks again!!
            Kind Regards
            Karen

Charmed Cards & Crafts

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce
              Karen,

There is an easier way, in Business Settings | Shipping & Handling .. Set calculation Basis by weight, In each of the shipping classes set a weight of 0.00 = £0.00 and in the next row a value weight 0.25 = £2.99, Set 'Excess' to, take highest value in Table. At the bottom find "Default Weight in Kg's" enter 0.25 here, this means you do not need to enter weights against each product, you will only need to do it for the gift vouchers, set weight here to 0.00 let the product weights remain blank, Actinic will then take teh default weight as there is no weight defined. Retain the 'Free Over' at £75.00. Click on apply.

Update the site and test it out. I have and it works fine.

Kind regards,
              Hi Bruce I thought this solution might work to my advantage and sort out the postage on my vouchers aswell. Is there anyway we can get the vouchers shipped for free (unless ordered with other items) and still retain our free shipping over £50?

I thought your solution above would work untill I hit the hurdle of our shipping options, if someone spends under £50 they get the option of Standard delivery at £3.50 or the option of Special Delivery at £5.30. If they spend over £50 they get the option of free Standard Delivery or reduced rate Special Delivery. Is there any way to keep this set up but to also offer free shipping on the vouchers when bought on their own??

Comment

If you are shipping by weight, yes you can.

Kind regards,
                Bruce King
                SellerDeck

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce
                  If you are shipping by weight, yes you can.

Kind regards,
                  Unfortunatley we ship by total value and at the moment I can't see a way to give the vouchers free postage without shipping by weight.

Comment

Working...
                  X