Google Sitemap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Sitemap

I have created a google sitemap in the hope of getting better results with google.
    Where is the best place to save the sitemap and what links to i need to it etc?

Thanks
    Olly

The root of the site will be the best place so it does not have to dig down to find. Probably best to add a link onto the Act_Primary template as a minimum but also the homepage and the Act_BrochurePrimary template also

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

I would recommend you go here http://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/login and create an account if you don't already have one. You will find the informnation on this site very helpful and it allows you to track any problem G might find in your sitemap XML file.
      Bill
      www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
      Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
      BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
      Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
      VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
      Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Hi Hope you don't mind me jumping in.
        I have created a sitemap.
        Do i simply ftp it on to my server?
        What exactly do i do

If anyone can help....I really am very unsure of this
        Cakes Cookies and Crafts Shop
        Cookie Cutters
        Cake Decorating Supplies
        Chocolate Making Equipment

Comment

You have to register for google sitemap and tell it where it is going to be, then upload it and google will come and get it.

We are writing a free tool to generate these by the way. It will as usual upload for you (once you have registered and uploaded with google once)

Regards,
          Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
          Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
          A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
          Product Mash for Sellerdeck
          Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
          Multichannel order processing
          Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Hi
            I understand that. What i don't understand is where to send it to the first time.
            You could say I'm a total Google Sitemaps Virgin

The free tool sounds great, ever thought of a donation button, even if the money was for charity.
            I'm always happy to pay my way...
            Cookie Cutters
            Cake Decorating Supplies

Comment

Donna,

Use the link I provided in post #3.
              Bill

Comment

HI Bill
                Thank you i have read this link.

It must be me, or the way that i'm asking the question. What i need to know is once i have generated the sitemap it says to put it on your site, it is this that i don't know how to do.
                I have an ftp program, and i know i can connect to my site. Is there somewhere specific that i need to place it. It suggests:
                http://www.example.com/sitemap.xml.
                So therefore do i simply save my sitemap as sitemap.xml and upload it.

The need for detailed advice comes down to my lack of confidence in these matters..and the fear of messing things up...
                Cookie Cutters
                Cake Decorating Supplies

Comment

Sorry, I was misreading your question. Yes, save the file as sitemap.xml, then in your ftp programme, put your website ftp address, username and password and save the file right there.

I use a program which does a great job of crawling the site, writing the xml file and uploading it for you (once you enter the ftp details). It is available here free http://johannesmueller.com/gs/
                  Bill

Comment

Thanks again bill, I was starting to really believe it was me.
                    I have done this and have found that my access was denied.

Guess i'll have to get in touch with the hosting company. I spoke to them today about this but never told me i wouldn't be able to complete the process
                    I used the program you mentioned, (found it on one of your previous posts) although i was confused why it only crawled my home page when pointed at: cakes...co.uk but crawled the whole site when pointed at: /acatalog just fine
                    Cookie Cutters
                    Cake Decorating Supplies

Comment

I just tried from here and aborted the run after indexing 286 URLs from cakes...co.uk - on the url tab there is a button for refresh table, pressing this while the crawl is in session will add the completed pages to the list.

Also from the top menu, you can choose Crawl: Show - to see the live crawl.
                      Bill

Comment

I have uploaded my sitemap to the internet and have verified the site through google.

I am now getting the following error and i know that its something that i've missed....i just don't know what i've missed.

'The server returned an error when we tried to access the URL provided. Please make sure the Sitemap URL is correct and resubmit your Sitemap'

can anyone help

Thanks

Olly

Comment

What URL has you specified in Google?

Regards,
                          Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
                          Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
                          A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
                          Product Mash for Sellerdeck
                          Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
                          Multichannel order processing
                          Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

my URL is http://www.test4less.co.uk/

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Olly

You should use this url

http://www.test4less.co.uk/sitemap.xml

Max

Comment

Working...
                              X