Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Charity site - in time for Christmas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Max
    Duncan, you should get rid of the forwarding page when you click on the main url, its a real "no! no!" for the search engines

Max
    Thanks Max but without it will not load to the catalogue page. Unless you have a suggestion.

TIA Duncan
    Ph: 0845 838 1 839

Comment

Originally posted by Max
      besides (from my point of view) it annoys the sh*t out of me
      That's fair enough. I personally do not believe in imposing my likes and dislikes on others by taking away a browsers function.

Originally posted by Max
      I don't use firefox as its still not as good as explorer in rendering certain css styles.
      Genuinely surprised by that. Can you elucidate which CSS styles are rendered better in IE than under Firefox as I am really keen to see this in action. It is general opinion that IE is very poor at rendering CSS (hence the much anticipated await for the release of v7 which has been promised to be up to W3C standards compliance) so would be interested to see which it does render better.

I have to agree that IE is very good at rendering badly coded CSS far better than the others whilst Firefox et al will highlight an errors made in the code - a common thread topic on this ACtinic site.

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Allan
        Thanks Max but without it will not load to the catalogue page. Unless you have a suggestion.

TIA Duncan

I had a look at the code for your
        http://www.giftsline.com/acatalog/index.html

I would copy the index.html page and place it in the root folder, afterwhich (if you use dreamweaver its fairly easy) correct all the links and urls of this copied page.

No need to change any links in the main site http://www.giftsline.com/acatalog/

Max

Comment

.. or set up a .htaccess redirect to point to the Actinic page ... check out the threads as this has been covered before

Bikster

Comment

Jodie

Great to hear your admin are small, as I still can not get my head around some charity's paying large amounts to Directors etc even though I understand what they are trying to do

Will be in contact hope all goes well
            Chris Ashdown

Comment

I had tried a .htaccess but couldn't get the redirect with the info from other threads on this board. The redreict was a quick fix but one that should be corrected.

TIA Duncan
              Ph: 0845 838 1 839

Comment

Originally posted by jont
                That's fair enough. I personally do not believe in imposing my likes and dislikes on others by taking away a browsers function.
                You have to remember that the customer is always wrong even when they are right, seriously though on my sites, I do not like the image bar showing up as it distracts the eye.

Genuinely surprised by that. Can you elucidate which CSS styles are rendered better in IE than under Firefox as I am really keen to see this in action.
                a quick one to point out is the hr tag in css is not rendered correctly in firefox unless you use a workaround, incidently even my simple sites that I build by hand (not using templates like actinic are both W3C valid xhtml 1.0 transitional and W3C valid for css unless I insert the two css instructions to insert scrollbars (even if the does need it and/or table background image) because without this in the css sheet a shorter page will move sideways when clicking through from a scrolling page.

Max

Comment

.. or set up a .htaccess redirect to point to the Actinic page ... check out the threads as this has been covered before

Possible but again not advisable, your "home" page has to be rock steady, believe me it makes a big difference.

Max

Comment

Originally posted by Max
                    You have to remember that the customer is always wrong even when they are right
                    Amen to that

Originally posted by Max
                    the hr tag
                    hopefully the <hr> days are numbered and hopefully be deprecated... I now use CSS border-top or border-bottom rules instead

There has been many a debate about using the acatalog index as the landing page - quite a few use it without adverse ranking by serach engines - I personally prefer to build my own in DW but this does remove some of the simplicity and all-in-one nature of Actinic.

Sorry for hijacking the thread BTW

Bikster

Comment

Sorry for hijacking the thread BTW
                      What he said

Max

Comment

we took the act_primary and stripped all the actinic code out. We use that as our web page, I find it alot easier to maintain, and it also gives me more SEO options.

I would deffinately recommend using a 'static' home page.
                        www.bathroomexpress.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Max
                          What he said

Max
                          No worries!! keeps the thread near the top of the page, which is great! ... have already had one very kind Actinic pro donate towards a JustAid project today on the back of this posting

!! ...If anyone else is looking for an alternative Christmas present...
                          www.justaid.org.uk

Comment

Working...
                          X