Section page title lengths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Section page title lengths

My top level page title will not accept more than 20 characters.

Do you think I can see how to change this?..................no!
    Graham

www.Briggsbits.co.uk
    The online store for Briggs and Stratton spare parts

do you mean the text on the actinic tree.

Is so it is limited to 20 chars and you cannot change this

Comment

Graham,

The workaround is to use a customvar to replace NQV:PAGETITLE
      Bill
      www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
      Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
      BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
      Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
      VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
      Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

That'll be why I can't find it.

Thanks, I'll do that.

(Its for my SEO)
        Graham

www.Briggsbits.co.uk

Comment

Ah, problem.

The top level section (shop.html) that I am trying to deal with has no properties tag to use a new NQV.

The only way around that I can think of is duplicate and rename an act_primary to use just for that page with the title written into it.
          Graham

www.Briggsbits.co.uk

Comment

Graham,

If you create the customvar and add it to Design | Options, Site Defaults, then the text entered as default will be used on the first page.

An edited Act_Primary to include the CUSTOMVAR title with the standard title edited out,can be used for just the one page, or as many as you need to enhance.
            Bill

Comment

Thats the kiddie,

Thanks
              Graham

www.Briggsbits.co.uk

Comment

You can also edit the field size in the main Actinic database as it is set in the design view to 20 - set accordingly

Bikster
                SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

On a similar note, I would like to increase the max character length for Section Text to above 50. Which table would I need to amend in the database?
                  http://www.phoenix-pcs.co.uk

Comment

Not sure offhand but the tables are sensibly named. Just have a look.
                    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

I have had a good look and the only text field I can see that is limited to 50 characters is called "Entry Name" and is in the "Configuration" table. Is that the one? I don't want to start experimenting as I'm not a database expert. Strange how that phrase "I'm not a ................. expert" keeps cropping up in my posts.

Comment

Strange how that phrase "I'm not a ................. expert" keeps cropping up
                        = another good reason to go the customvar route - no possibility of screwing up the database.

Just identify the NETQUOTEVAR you want to replace, create your new CUSTOMVAR, comment out the NQV reference in the template(s) and replace it with your CUSTOMVAR reference.

OR

If you only want the change on some pages, create a copy of the template(s) with the change, and use either the standard template or the new template depending on your requirements.
                        Bill

Comment

Thanks Bill. The problem with that is I import the vast bulk of my catalog from a csv file (around 6500 items, each of which has it's own section). Wouldn't that preclude using the CUSTOMVAR method?

Comment

It's actually the Section Text field I need to increase. At the moment I have one product per section with the product name being the section text, however some of the product names are quite long (I need to include the manufacturer's part number in order to avoid duplication), and I'm having to truncate them which results in strange-looking page titles (I use the sub-section name as the html page title). Can anyone tell me if I can alter something in the database to allow, say, 60 or 70 characters?

Comment

The table Catalog section (I said they were sensibly named) uses Memo fields for Section Text and Section Description. This allows a lot of text to be entered for either.

It's only the top level catalog name that's a fixed 20 character size. This is table Catalog field Catalog Name. I just tried adjusting the length of this and it didn't work.

Update. Changing the Catalog Name fields length in Access / Design View to 200 wouldn't let Actinic alter the name past 20 characters.

However bypassing Actinic and changing the actual Catalog Name fields contents in Access allows a long name to be directly entered. Actinic then seems to use this name quite happily.

Since you can happily have much longer names for every page except the top one I'd leave things as they are and let the import name all lower pages as long as you like.
                              Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                              Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Working...
                              X