Continue Shopping - Explorer6 vs Netscape7.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continue Shopping - Explorer6 vs Netscape7.2

My browser of choice is Netscape, but I always check out what's happening in Explorer to see if anything appears differently or is being handled differently. I noticed the following difference and am curious to know if anyone else has noticed it or if there's anything that can be done about it.

This is how it should be:
    When using Netscape, after adding items to the cart and then choosing 'continue shopping', I'm always taken back to the page from which the last item in the cart was ordered. If I remove all items and update the cart and then choose 'continue shopping, I'm still returned to the page of the last item that had previously been in the cart. Even after completing an order and pressing 'Done' on the receipt page I'm always taken back to the last item ordered page. This is a good thing.

This is where it gets weird: (this was tough to word. i hope it makes sense)
    When using Explorer, after adding items to the cart and then choosing 'continue shopping' I'm not being taken to the correct page. I'm always taken back to the page from which the first product was ordered in the first session after the last time cookies were cleared. No matter how many items were in the cart during the first session after cookies were last cleared, I'm always taken back to the page from which first item was ordered. When I complete an order, close Explorer, reopen it and start putting items in the cart again, the same thing happens again. Always back to the page of the first item in the first session after the last clearing of cookies. When I clear cookies, then close and reopen the browser, it rectifies the situation for the first shopping session only. The second session starts the original process over again. Unfortunately, this clearing of the cookies which fixes the problem for the first new shopping session only also clears any 'remember me' data, i.e. alternate shipping addresses, etc., which is not good. There's more....Even during the first session after clearing all cookies, 'continue shopping' will repeatedly take me back to the page of the first item put in the cart instead of the page of the last item put in the cart. During the composition of this paragraph, just to make sure this is written exactly as it's happening, I repeated the process again for multiple products in both browsers for two order sessions, without clearing cookies. I closed and reopened both browsers each time. It happened again both times in Explorer.

I've repeated the process in both browsers over and over again. I've tried different cookie settings in Explorer, but nothing works. I'm not even sure it's a cookie issue. Right now cookies in both browsers are set at medium. I'm genuinely concerned about this because the majority of users out there use Explorer.

The Bottom Line:
    The way it is now, if a customer using Explorer chooses 'continue shopping' at any point during a current order, they're always going to be taken to the page of the first product they ever ordered off the site. (unless of course they cleared cookies somewhere along the way, in which case they will always be taken to the page of the first item ordered after clearing cookies) It's going to cause confusion.

Any ideas? Why would it be perfect with NS, but not with Explorer? Could this be happening from my computer only?

cb
    http://supplyspecialties.biz
    Last edited by Charles Bastari; 18-Dec-2005, 04:52 PM. Reason: Problem Fixed

I had a mess about with IE, adding and removing items and closing and opening new browser instances etc. but couldn't see any problems. I was always returned to the last item added to the cart.
    Don't know why you are seeing the problem - but if it's any consolation I doubt your customers are.

Duncan R

Comment

Duncan,

Thanks for having a go at it. I hope I get more replies like yours. I've yet to have an opportunity to see if I can duplicate the problem on anyone else's computer.

This situation is so typical of me. Often, in frustration, I'll exclaim, "Hasn't anyone else ever had this problem or asked you about this!" The reply is
      almost inevitable. "No Charles, just you." It is my lot in life.

Comment

Charles,

I tried Opera, Firefox and IE - every time an add to cart continue took me back to the last item ordered, regardless of browser.

Repeat visit in IE - continue took me to the item I added in the new session.

Looks like your PC does not know the difference between 'remember me' and 'confuse me'
        Bill
        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Originally posted by wjcampbe
          Looks like your PC does not know the difference between 'remember me' and 'confuse me'
          I'm beginning to think you're right.

Comment

Fixed it! Reinstalled Explorer. Oh Man I wish I had tried it all those hours ago!

Comment

Working...
            X