Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detailed Cart Summary...

Hi everyone

Since I started using Actinic, one my main gripes was the very limited cart summary. Most e-commerce sites nowadays feature a small cart summary with a quick break-down of the line items, quantities and price, and its something that I thought Actinic should have included - from these forums, lots of other people have too!

Anyhoo, I've been playing around with the perl files and have implimented a working version here (add a couple of items to your cart and see it in action). At the moment its quite basic, since the site uses a single tax level and currency.

Is this something others would like to see? I'd like to develop it further but only if it's going to prove useful
    www.gbradley.co.uk
    Web Development, Actinic Patches, Scripts & more

Looks nice and works well.

It does everything I would need so further development isn't a concern for me.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

That looks like a nifty piece of work, good stuff fella...
      Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Neat, I like it - I also don't like forcing customers to view the cart each time they add an item, I want them to spend as much time as possible choosing possible additions.

Are you intending to share it?

Duncan R

Comment

In its current state it may not work correctly for many sites, because of the single VAT level and no support for discounts, surcharges etc. Fine if you intend not to use them, but it would be very off-putting for a customer to get different totals across different pages.

The way I see it, surcharges & carriage costs etc should only be applied to the full cart at checkout, not the summary. Discounts (eg 3 for 2) should be applied at the summary stage though, and I haven't yet had a chance to look into that.

Once I've sorted out the VAT issue - a neccessary one since a lot of sites use custom VAT prices to get around Actinic tax rounding - I'll put it up for download

Any other suggestions for it? Glad you all like so far.
          www.gbradley.co.uk

Comment

It looks great. I did something similar recently and found two problems that you may need to take note off.

1) When truncating the product names watch out for being in the middle of an escaped character. E.g. & # 8 8 ; or %20.

2) The Safari browser, even on a brand new Mac, doesn't support toFixed().
            Norman - www.drillpine.biz
            Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks Norman

I thought about the encoding problem so will decode in Perl before truncating the name. Didn't know about the Safari issue, so will look for another way around that. Just the VAT & discounts to go - leaving the hard bit til last
              www.gbradley.co.uk

Comment

Well well. My IMac's Safari V1.3.1 is now happy with toFixed(2). One of the automatic updates during the Autumn must have fixed toFixed.

I just typed "javascript:alert(3.146.toFixed(2))" into the the address bar and up popped 3.15. That would have failed earlier this year.
                Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

well done mate!

kermy,

that's exactly the type of shopping cart i need on the store i look after www.thefilmstore.com

I bought a product off your site to check the whole thing thru and its spot on. I think even in its current state it'd work fine for me as we don't use any components or anything too indepth.. if you ever want anyone to test the code or just feel generous to share it, let me know.

merry christmas to all as well..

S
                  Classico UK - www.classicouk.com
                  The Filmstore - www.thefilmstore.com
                  fully licensed products [postcards, magnets, mugs, mirrors and more] wholesale & retail

Comment

I'm taking a couple of days out from my normal website work, so I shall use the extra time to sort out a decimal rounding problem i found (damn Actinic and VAT!) then shall post the code here
                    www.gbradley.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X