Reloading from Different Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloading from Different Computer

I am using V5.1 and often worrk on my site from two machines. I use the snapshot feature to transfer the site back and forth. But when I upload, the program wants to load the entire site rather than just the changes made. In other words, if I import a snapshot to a different machine from which it was created, it wants to upload the enitre site. How can I tell the program that they are sycronized? I hope I'm clear. Thanks!

It is only possible to update the store from one PC at a time - it is not possible to 'synch' two machine. Sorry about that.

As a workaround, you can have one 'master' PC and one 'slave' PC. When you make any changes on your master PC you can upload them straight away.

When you want to make any changes on your slave PC, you can import a snapshot from the master PC, make changes, and then export the store data with 'File | Export' and then import the new data into the master machine.

Alternatively, if both PCs are on the same network then you can use Actinic Business and link them both to a shared Access database.

Comment

I may have not explained correctly..sorry. Shouldn't I be able to import a snapshot into a different computer from where it was created without having to reload the entire site again to the server from that computer that I imported into? When I take an identical snapshot then transfer it to another computer then upload the site, Actinic is seeing it as a totally new upload when there have been no changes made. Thanks!!

Comment

You will see this a new upload. Your snapshot could be 4 days or even 4 weeks old so it will be a different upload.

The idea is to give you a backup. If you are using the snapshot to fix an error you cant work out then you would want it to upload everything
        Owner of a broken heart

Comment

Chris can you please explain how to setup business to run using a shared location of the .mdb file? I'm picturing two computers on a network each having a copy of actinic and they both point to a shared location the necessary files (.mdb etc.)

Is this what you mean?

Comment

It isn't two PCs sharing the same ActinicCatalog.mdb file. What I was talking about is two PCs using the 'File | External Links' function within Actinic to point to the same external database/spreadsheet. For more details, go to 'Help | Help Topics' and look at the 'Linking to External Data' section.

Comment

Working...
            X