Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious speed issue

Please take a look at http://www.cheekymonster.net

Can anyone help me speed up this site? Is it the Perl scripts that are taking their time? Is it my host? Is it the size of the images?

Kind regards,

Jim

Seemed to run fast enough across a network connected to ADSL.

If you are on about page loading times using dialup connections, then maybe you might want to consider placing products within thier own sections with just quick links from there current position into the main page details etc....

But all seemed fine from here as far as speed was concerned.

Comment

It was pretty slow using a dial-up modem. navigated to http://www.cheekymonster.net/acatalog/carnival.htm and it took ages.

On looking at the page source I see you've got Compact HTML / CGI turned off. This means that your pages are full of comments and this will be slowing things up.

Going to Design / Options and turn Compact HTML / CGI on and see if that helps.

Norman
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks Norman, this has certainly improved the download time a little but I am still getting some serious delays when waiting for script-related pages such as login or search to load, even on an ADSL connection.

Is there anything else I should look at before I start moaning at my hosting provider?

Kind regards,

Jim

Comment

Thanks Norman, this has certainly improved the download time a little but I am still getting some serious delays when waiting for script-related pages such as login or search to load, even on an ADSL connection.

Is there anything else I should look at before I start moaning at my hosting provider?

Kind regards,

Jim

Comment

Are you hosted on NT/2000 servers as these are giving real speed headaches to us all at the moment
            Owner of a broken heart

Comment

Yes it's a windows 2000 shared server. Would switching to Linux improve the speed? Is this an Actinic/Win2k server issue?

I have found that optimising my database makes a slight difference but it still seems extremely slow.

Kind regards,

Jim

Comment

I switched a couple of weeks ago and I am now very sorry I never done this before.

evidence (not scientific)

NT SERVER

and

UNIX

Now I can concentrate on developing the site and themes and forget about why everything was so slow
                Owner of a broken heart

Comment

After consulting my current webhost, I was given another possible solution to the speed issue in the form of file permissions.

My host was good enough to set the permissions on my script files and cgi-bin to -rwxr-xr-x (755 in numerical format) which has no impact on security and has significantly improved the speed of the site.

Kind regards,

Jim Rixon

Comment

Working...
                  X