email settings problem still

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

email settings problem still

having problems sending emails in actinic. the smtp server is the problem. ive tried loads of different ones and still not getting anywhere. ive contacted my host/server provider about this and the smtp server they gave me didnt work either.

if i test it from "network setup" it passes ok but when it comes to actually sending an order confirmation it doesnt work.

any ideas? im with 123-reg.co.uk anyone else had similar problems?

have you tried using localhost as the setting?

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Here is a typical error returned from your error log:

Program = MailScri, Program version = 6 , HTTP Server = Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) (Red-Hat, Return code = 999 , Date and Time = 2006/01/08 18:22, Internal Errors = Error returned from SMTP server (4: relay not permitted
      )

The last few are about smtp authorisation not being supported.

What are you using as the sending email address?

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

It might be worth asking 123-reg support about this as a search for 'smtp' in their support section threw up this:

Do you provide SMTP servers?
        No, 123-reg does not provide SMTP servers at present, however almost all Internet Service Providers (ISP's) provide an SMTP server.

Provided you use a valid POP3 mail server (ours is pophost.123-reg.co.uk) then it doesn't matter what SMTP server you use as mail should still be returned to the POP3 mail server and appear to have been sent from the correct address.

Please see the relevant link for how this should be setup on the most popular mail clients.
        Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Your ISP should provide you an smtp server. Most do, and im only aware of one who dont, BT Broadband does not provide an SMTP server unless you have a business internet package and i think you have to call up and request it.

What ISP are you with?

Comment

Originally posted by AJReading
            aware of one who dont, BT Broadband does not provide an SMTP server
            As we found out yesterday after moving premises and ISP's ... thankfully not affecting Actinic only an obscure relaying setting but have now resolved

Bikster
            SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

theres a plugin for sendmail which you can use with actinic, have a search around, as i can't find the link now.
              Web design Bradford

Comment

im with wanadoo

error i get is

Failed to communicate with the SMTP server.

Possible Cause:
                1. Network transmission problems.
                2. Could have Changed the SMTP Server settings, but not Uploaded after that.

Recommendation:
                1. Retry
                2. Upload the Site First, if you have changed the SMTP Server Settings.

Resolution:
                If retry fails, check your SMTP settings
                or contact your ISP.

The error was:
                58326*********@hotmail.comError returned from SMTP server (1: SMTP Authentication is not supported by this server!

Command: send Filename:

Comment

I don't know much about this but we had the exact same problem.
                  All I can tell you is that instead of using a 'smtp.isp...etc' we changed it to a 'mail.isp...etc' and it worked.
                  Might be a useless piece of info but can't hurt to try.
                  Steve D
                  Boomedia Ltd
                  ______________________________________________________________
                  www.jean-patrique.co.uk
                  www.smartbeautyshop.com
                  www.bunnybusiness.net
                  www.ukpets247.co.uk

Comment

oh yes, and don't use authentication.
                    Steve D
                    Boomedia Ltd
                    ______________________________________________________________
                    www.jean-patrique.co.uk
                    www.smartbeautyshop.com
                    www.bunnybusiness.net
                    www.ukpets247.co.uk

Comment

lol

none of those ideas worked.

Comment

What are you using as your SMTP server address? Have you tried replacing that with 'localhost' and uploading the site. Do you get a confirmation email telling you the network settings were succesful when a test goes through?

Kind regards,
                        Bruce King
                        SellerDeck

Comment

Ask 123reg to allow you to relay your site through their network

They will normally ask for full details of your domain to check you are the owner and then allow relay of messages

This only applies when you have a domain registered with one company and your ISP is another comapny, and relay is normally turned off to stop companies spamming via their network
                          Chris Ashdown

Comment

Working...
                          X