Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

search engine optimisation seo

Hi All,
    first time i`v posted here. Been using sctinic for about 12 months now and site hits and orders from the site gradually increasing over that time but i still don`t feel i`m getting as many hits as i should. What brought my attention to this was putting my domain name www.torreelectrics.co.uk into a site called www.spannerworks.com and using their spider simulator. This should show what a search engine spider sees when it visits your site but the only links it finds when it visits my home page (which is the one i submit to the search engines) are the `about us` how to find us` and `contact us` pages. It doesn`t seem to be spidering off to my product pages or even seeing the text of the links, if that makes sense~ I have searched google for specific groups of words that appear on my product pages but it doesn`t find my site.
    does anyone have any ideas?

thanks
    Barrie

You have to publish your sitemap within actinic and have a link to it from your homepage. Search engine spiders will not reliably follow links into your site that go via the cgi-bin.

A better alternative than the sitemap is static section links that the search engines can follow. Sadly actinic cannot create these for you and they have be crafted by hand. (a long time problem with actinic)

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Hi, Thanks for the reply Mike,
      how would i go about adding static section links? does this mean having the actual url`s of each page i want searched on the home page?

Barrie

Comment

Yes.

I do it by creating my own static navigation menu, others do it by creating a nice little table at the bottom of the page with all the pages linked there. Jo Pinbrook suggested the good idea of doing a copy/paste of the relevant bits from the actinic sitemap as a quick way to get the content you need.

Mike

Comment

have you tried froogle as well ?
          Web design Bradford

Comment

hi all,
            i've just tried the spannerworks spider and all i get for my website is the head section........
            what have i done wrong?

ww.ukboxingstore.co.uk

thanks

Comment

Maybe because you have two header tags, title tags, etc ?

Mike

Comment

thanks,
                so you mean i should delete the top one and i should have added my page title where it said NETQUOTEVAR :PAGE TITLE
                below that it says <TITLE>
                I TAKE IT.., THAT'S WHERE I SHOULD HAVE EDITED AND NOT ABOVE THOSE ?

THANKS

Comment

You shouldn't really be editing the html that actinic produces. The place to make your changes is in the templates and the catalog content.

Mike

Comment

error

anyone else getting the error message

'Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e31'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

/seotoolkit/functions.asp, line 320'

?
                    http://www.ukdesignermenswear.com

Top designer brands at discounted prices, coming soon!

Comment

James. I think you're in the wrong thread. This one is about Barrie Green's requirements regarding being seen by Search Engines.
                      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Nah it was an error i was getting using the spider simulator. Assumed there might have been some downtime or something, ends up it was a browser problem.
                        http://www.ukdesignermenswear.com

Top designer brands at discounted prices, coming soon!

Comment

Hi, I have been playing around with spannerworks and trying to work out the best way to get all of my site thouroughly spidered and wondered whether it would work if i submitted http://www.torreelectrics.co.uk/acatalog instead of just my domain name? This will show my file index page with a complete list of image files and all page url`s, surely this will make it very easy for `mr spider` When i tried this in spannerworks it found everything.

any thoughts anyone?

Barrie

Comment

I'd use the advice given by the knowledgebase that is olderscot mate.
                            Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

@ olderscot,

thanks for that mate....., much better now.
                              don't seem to be picking up HREF links...., will that matter?

Comment

Working...
                              X