Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upload to trial site

Quick Question ...

My site's live but I'm making quite a lot of changes which I'd like to view before uploading to my live site.

Therefore, am I able to change to my trial site network settings and upload to my trial site, then when I'm happy change my settings back and upload to live ?

Thanks
    Michaela

You can leave your settings intact and from the web menu select switch to test mode. This will create a new folder set on your website, that is not visible to the public.

Take a snapshot before you do, so that you can get back into sync with the existing website, when you take a break from the new one.

Take snapshots from the test site as you go along too so you can switch back to test, load that snapshot and continue the development work.

Make a BIG note to yourself export snapshot - switch - import snapshot.

Obviously, name the snapshots so that you know which are live site and which are test site, or better yet, set up two snapshot folders on your PC.

hth
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

The switch within Actinic that enables trial mode changes the paths to the acatalog folder so that it ends up like domain.tld/acatalog/test/acatalog and so on...

But, whilst you are in test/trial mode using the same software/licence you can only work on the test site, which includes downloading orders, so if the site is live also, then you would have to switch out of test mode to download orders from the live site.

Not sure whether Actinic requires an upload of the site when switching between test and production mode, but that is how I think it works if you want to upload trial (non live) using 1 copy/licence.

Comment

Thanks both for your help
        Michaela

Comment

Yes, Techno Web has raised a couple of points.

I had not realised there is no option to leave the test site in place and continue to use it. I cancelled the deletion of my test site, so it is still there, but when I swiched back to test - actinic responds by offering to re-upload everything afresh.

Downloading orders - since the public are not aware of the test site, there will be no orders on this site, unless you create them as part of your test (would not do this using PSP, but only direct methods like invoice with order).

Also, when you exit test mode and re-enter production, Actinic will refresh the entire site the next time you attempt an upload - no way to avoid that.
          Bill

Comment

I can create multiple sites in Actinic, so . . .
            can I create a new subdomain called TEST.MyDomain.com and then upload changes to this sub domain.

The biggest problem I see is to Remember to change away from Test-Site back to Live Site after I've finshed playing

I assume I just need to protect the Test actinic directory with a password and then to put a robots.txt in the directory saying don't bother following.

Comment

Hhm, I have exported site, switched to test mode, but when I try to view test website I get error message 404 file not found ... am I missing something ?
              Thanks
              Michaela

Comment

Also, how do I get the updates from the trial site to the live site ? Do I just update website whilst in test mode ?
                Thanks
                Michaela

Comment

When you switched to test mode, did Actinic not create the new folders on your website?

When you try to view .... by putting the new page address in your browser (.i.e. www.mysit e.com/acatalog/test/acatalog/pagename.html) ... or some other method?

If you are not happy with the progress of the test, then make a snapshot, exit test mode and re-import the live site snapshot. Once you are happy with the test and want to switch to that as your live site, exit test mode and do not import the live site, just go ahead and upload your new look.
                  Bill

Comment

Hi
                    I switched to test mode, made a couple of changes and clicked on the browse website icon.
                    It took me to www.mysite.com/acatalog/test/index.html which displayed a 404 error.

If I try to type in http://www.mysite.com/acatalog/test/...tion_name.html for example I also get an error message
                    Michaela

Comment

Did you upload after making the changes?
                      Bruce King
                      SellerDeck

Comment

Probably because you do not have a file called index.html in the folder.

http://www.rainydaysnsundays.com/aca...alog/shop.html works
                        Bill

Comment

Hi
                          All sorted now, thanks both for your help ... hadn't actually uploaded test site
                          Michaela

Comment

Upload to trial site ... Help !!!

I have made a lot of changes to my site whilst in test mode. I have now uploaded this to my live site but all the new pictures that I have linked in can not be found.
                            I've tried re-linking the photos but no joy.
                            This is now on my live site so I am desperate to get it rectified.
                            Can anyone help ???
                            Thanks
                            Michaela

Comment

Unfortunately, you don't say what url we can see the problem at, and without being able to see what is happening....

I did see several items where the reference shows as a href="copy of ......
                              unless your files are actually called 'copy of primrose nights.html' etc, you might want to clean those up.
                              Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X