Copy and Paste Products causes Actinic to hang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copy and Paste Products causes Actinic to hang

I am trying to add a lot of similiar products to my catalog. I tend to set up one and then use the Copy and Paste function to create a duplicate product and just change the details that are different.

However, about half the time when I do the Paste (and sometimes on a brand new Product as well), Actinic just hangs - it eventually comes up with 'Not Responding' and I have to crash out.

We do have a LOT of products in our database, and most are Duplicated about 3 times, I have compacted the database this morning in an attempt to help but it has made little difference.
    The compacted catalog is 18,244 KB and there are around 4000 seperate products on there.

Is there anything else I can try?

Tried loading them from a spreadsheet? Copy/paste as much as you want then a single import

Comment

Uploading from a spreadsheet is quite slow anyway - and surely it shoudl be possible to copy a product without crashing everything???

Comment

I copy/paste all my items out of a temp folder and sometimes it hangs on a large clipboard but it always comes back.
        It'll show "not res' " if I click about enough while its busy but comes back.
        Actinic is slow doing most things for me, but well worth the wait

Do you use auto' refresh on preview?

Spreadsheets should be loads quicker than the way you say you do yours.

Comment

I have preview switched off completely.
          I do use spreadsheets if I have more than say 10 items that are similiar, but if it's just 2 or 3 then it seems like a lot of hassle to have to use the spreadsheet.

I have about 80 products to add today, not all of them the same, so 'slow but worth the wait' is extremely frustrating.

Comment

I know m8 40% of my day is waiting for Actinic. I've tried other E solutions an Actinic is best so far even with its bugs

Comment

Hmmm. Something not quite right here. I use copy and pasting within the catalog all the time. There is usually a slight hesitation on the first one but nothing major to warrant a time out. Maybe the pc itself is struggling with this. Do you have lots of other stuff happening at the same time? I do notice you've compacted but have you purged away all deleted products etc?
              Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Yes, I have purged deleted products as well. I am scanning products, so my scanning software is open, and also the image editing software to crop/resize the scanned images. My email (Outlook Express) and Internet Explorer. Nothing I would consider to be a big drain. I don't open Photoshop as that crashes immediately if I am using Actinic, I just use a basic image software which came with my scanner (HP Image Editor)

The Laptop is about 3 months old, I don't know all the specs but it has a label on it which says it is a Pentium M740 - it was purchased specifically to run Actinic on it.

Comment

PS - I have now created a spreadsheet, and it has given me the white screen while it imports the spreadsheet - I think it will come back from the white screen but it's been 5-10 minutes which to import 25 products seems a bit excessive.

Comment

Thats probably it actually. Scanning software `open` is a huge drain on memory.

Assuming you have XP, click on the taskbar at the bottom, choose Task Manager, then click on the performance tab. Do the c & p with and without the scanner `open`. Hopefully you'll see a difference.
                    Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

lol 10/15 mins!!! that is a bit.

I'm talking about 1/2mins max. I'm with george there's somethings else going on here (ram).

just out of interest do u use mcafee virus scan?

Comment

Copy and Paste Problems

I too have noticed problems with copy and paste and find that it occurs when I try to copy and paste products that have extended info. Other products dont present a problem I suspect its a case of not sufficient memory.

Comment

I'm currently developing on a PC with only 256mb and the copy and paste is not excessivly slow. Actinic does seem to spend far too long generating the page previews though.

Comment

Mine also crashes when adding products

If I add a product or a sub-section to my catalog, actinic either immediately generates a C++ runtime error or actinic crashes when I try to export a snapshot. Compacting the database before exporting does nothing to prevent this. And the snapshot is 0kb so I lose any improvements made.

Once the error has occured (either C++ or Catalog) I then cannot open Actinic again without uninstalling and reinstalling, which allows me to start again, but if I open my site again, same thing again!

Help!

Cheers.

Comment

This forum is for v7. Are you running v7???
                              Your previous post was in the v8/9 forum.

v7 and v8/9 are completely different beasts.

Comment

Working...
                              X