Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with the testing of the e-mail

Can anybody provide me with any ideas about this problem

i am trying to set up my network settings and when it tests the email it does not work.

the settings work through outlook but not throurgh actinic

i have disabled my firewall as well in case that was the problem bu i still get this problem

You can try using localhost as the smtp server - this solves a lot of issues

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

And just confirm you are using an email address that belongs to the website and not an external mail provider like Yahoo.

The setting you need is the smtp server that provides your website mail OR as Jont said, use localhost without authentication.
      Bill
      www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
      Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
      BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
      Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
      VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
      Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

are you using 1&1 as your hosts?

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

1 & 1 setting for most of us on this forum (courtesy of Norman Rouxel, IIRC) is auth.smtp.oneandone.co.uk without authorisation - i.e. no userid, no password.
          Bill

Comment

i am using an email provided by my hosting company

but my isp is different company

i think this is what is causing the problem.

I have tried to setup the email settings but not working

i have tested them through outlook and they are working

but actinic does not like it

Comment

i put localhost as he smtp

can somebody explain what is this

it is working now!!!!!!

Comment

Your #6 - when you set up Actinic mailing, the mail is sent by actinic from the server using the mail service provided by the website hosting company. At no time is your ISP involved.

Your ISP provides you with a doorway to the internet, and may also provide a mail account that is resident on his server and in no way connected with your website.

Outlook uses a provider running on the mail server which allows access to the email from outside the server.

Your #7
                localhost is a reserved name that means, 'the server I am sitting on OR the parent of the service I am requesting"
                Bill

Comment

thanks for your replies especially to wjcampbe

i was trying to put an order today through as a test for my psp and the actinic did not send email automatically to the client's email

i tried also to send email through actinic (e.g. order received ) and that did not work either

any help about this?

i know the easy way possiby out of this is to get my host to become my isp as well since they provide connections but i cannot do this at present

Comment

Sorry, but even if your host was your ISP, that would not have any effect on sending email to customers from the server.

A program on the server writes the email by plugging in the customer details, much like a word mail merge function, to the standard email template and then calls a perl script from your cgi-bin folder which tries to talk to the host mail provider using the details you provide in the setup file.

If you tell us what host you are working with, then someone else with a working Actinic setup on the same host might be able to share his/her settings and get you fully operational.
                    Bill

Comment

i have clara as host with the clarahost package

isp is aol

you may be correct, but i thought the program you are referring to is going to be using the SMTP server to send the emails which in this case i do not have access to the smtp server of my host (only to the pop3 server)

just to check my thinking the site sits on their server (my host server) and a program from the host sever is asking at the moment my isp smtp server to send the email?????????

and going back to your explanation of the localhost i pressume when you use it in my case it will use the isp smtp server and it will not try to use the smtp server of the host??

Comment

No the ISP is never involved. The only mailbox that can normally be used is the host provided mail. If you have set your ISP smtp details in the network settings, then when you click the test button, you should be failing.

Think about it like this. The host provided mail is your local postman. When you want to send a letter, you cannot give it to the postman in the next county, you give it to the local postman and he passes it on along the delivery chain.

To get from your host server to the isp server to be posted, the letter has to be carried by the host server postman, which means you need to talk to that postman.

localhost is another way of saying local postman, while the server name details is like saying the Uxbridge Road postman.

Jont should pass by here soon, he has experience of clara and should sort you out very quickly - or do a quick search for clara mail settings in the box at the top right of this screen.
                        Bill

Comment

thanks for your reply and now it makes more sense.

when i contacted clara to ask about this they said that unless they are my isp they do not provide access to the smtp server (or something along those lines)

thats why i said if i change my isp to clara i will not have any problem

i will wait to see what jont suggests as well

thanks for all your help anyway

Comment

Working...
                          X