X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test site

Hi Community

PLEASE HELP

I have managed to design my site using Actining Catalogue and it's in the trial site http://trials.actinic.com/trials/trial23989/shop.html

I already have a website www.surbitonart.co.uk designd by someone longtime ago, now I like to test it in this place, but I don't know to setup a website without ruining my site. I have full access to my site, FTP and the rest,

Please someone tell me how do I go about setting up setting a test site. I have very little knowledge of this type of activity. What are the folders i need to have and how do I upload. I DO NOT WANT TO RUIN THE RUNNING SITE

Phillip

Hi Phillip,

I would ensure you have a full copy of the site as it is as the moment before undertaking any changes and save somewhere safe (cd/dvd).

As the old site is not running under Actinic you should be OK to upload as everything in Actinic goes into the /acatalog/ folder or into the /cgi-bin/ .... to keep you homepage simply tell Actinic not to use the "home" page in the content tree and under Design | Options | Misc tab set the URL to your exisiting homepage and upload.

That should keep the 2 sites running whilst you tweak the Actinic site before going live.

HTH

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Many thanks

Is is posible to create nesessary folders and FTP the Actinic to the server. I am scared just in case actinic sending it to other folders. If so what are the folders I need to create and what are the items I need to send it up.

Regards

Phillip

Comment

You can't FTP outside of Actinic as it needs to compile and generate all the scripts before uploading.

Actinic will dump files into the actalog and cgi-bin folders - if you set not to use the homepage as above the existing page will retain. Unless you have a folder called acatalog already then you should be fine - this is how I tested my first site with the old in place and running Actinic alongside in its own place .... I even took an order whilst it was there and not linked from anywhere on the existing site!!

Bikster

Comment

Many thanks

I will let you know the outcome

Regards

Phillip

Comment

Good luck - don't forget to take a complete copy of the exisiting site should anything go wrong (hides for cover)

Bikster

Comment

Originally posted by jont
              Good luck - don't forget to take a complete copy of the exisiting site should anything go wrong (hides for cover)
              Thank you for the advice.
              I have used the "WEB/Switch to Test mode", and successfully created test site in my server.
              http://www.surbitonart.co.uk/acatalo...log/index.html

Any comment please.
              I will have to sort, secure server page for the credit card function

Regards

Phillip

Comment

You might wish to add a link into your right side panel where you mention T&Cs as well as add something into the empty lower left side panel. You could also change your home page page title to something more related to your site. I'm sure others may comment on SE etc. but you may want to consider putting a link to your site map on your home page when you integrate it into your existing site.

Looks good - hope you do well with it.

Duncan R

Comment

Originally posted by drounding
                  You might wish to add a link into your right side panel where you mention T&Cs as well as add something into the empty lower left side panel. You could also change your home page page title to something more related to your site. I'm sure others may comment on SE etc. but you may want to consider putting a link to your site map on your home page when you integrate it into your existing site.

Looks good - hope you do well with it.

Duncan R
                  Hi Duncan
                  Thank you for the comment. I am completly blank about this perticular areas. I don't know the way to attach a link to this place. I also like to link the shopping cart as well. Any help verymuch appreciated

Regards

Phillip

Comment

Your link would need to look something like perhaps:
                    <a href="http://www.domain.co.uk/acatalog/sitemap.html">Site Map</a>
                    Check in the forum search - putting the cart details on other pages was talked about recently.

Comment

Working...
                    X