Uploading & completing site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uploading & completing site

Although I've not yet finished building my site I have a couple of questions with respect to uploading the site to the server;

1) If I upload the site before it's finished, can I still work on it?

2) When it's uploaded is it possible to stop it being viewed until such time as it's finished (can I see it online before being going public)?

Thanks,

Nigel.

My site will never be finished. Upload, continue to add content on the desktop, upload again, continue to add content, upload again.

If you want to be absolutely certain that someone who stumbles across the site by accident can't see anything, use FTP to rename your uploaded brochure page and upload a stand alone index.html file with no links to the rest of the site.

But, believe me - it is hard to get people to visit any site. We all spend a lot of time (not to mention money) finding new ways to advertise our site(s) in the hope of attracting visitors who will turn into customers.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

I would recommend getting your site up and running asap, you can put a note on the front page saying under development due to open on XXXXXX

You need all the time for the search engines to find you, fill the front page with data and at least one other catalog page to give them a clue what you are doing, once they find you they will regulary check for more content

Just carry on working and when you are happy with another page upload it to the site and start on another
      Chris Ashdown

Comment

Finished site - what's that then?

Bag of hens teeth to the first person that shows me a "finished" etail site that continues to take orders and needs no further input - ever

Comment

Thanks for your help guy's, I've been building this site for over 2 years.....

This is an addition to my retail business, I made the mistake of telling my customers I would be going on the internet 3 years ago !!!

The site has been on my shop ads for all of this time, my customers no longer ask when the site will be online - I dont think they believe it ever will

So, it will be a shock when (if) it ever gets online

Thanks again.

Nigel.

Comment

Working...
          X