smtp problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smtp problems

hello, i am having problems with the email settings.
    i have set up the smtp server to my btaccount smtp which is what i use for all my outgoing email as my host does not provide smtp.
    Every time i do a test it says that it fails as it is not an smtp server.
    any ideas?
    Log Cabins and Garden Sheds
    Decking, Fencing, Gates and Spiral Stairs

SMTP stands for Simple Mail Transport Protocol, and without something to do the Mail Transport bit from your web server to BT it's like living on an island and hoping the mainland mailman will deliver your letters, even though there is no ferry service between your island and the mainland.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Is www.timber cabins registered with BT or is it registered with some one else, if so you may need to contact bt to get them to relay your timber cabins mail through their server
      Chris Ashdown

Comment

hello, it is registered through ABCreg and hosted on interhost, neither offer smtp services. My bt smtp account works in thunderbird and outlook and i have the settings just the same

smtp.btopeworld.com
        "username"
        "password"

but it doesn't recognise it as an smtp server, will this cause problems for the program?

Comment

just found the answer in another thread. using localhost now, dont know why it works but it works http://community.actinic.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

Basically it is down to how the server is deployed and configured, which with localhost means a connection in the servers settings has allowed a connection from local files calling for the mta (mail transport agent) to send emails in a authenticated manner because the files are on the server, i.e. they must be an authorised user on that server to have gotten the files on there, so the method of localhost allows local files to use the allowed local resources, in this case the MTA.

Comment

Working...
            X