sending Digital Download via email

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sending Digital Download via email

I have been reading the forum most of the morning trying to figure out if Actinic will support our requirements. So far everything looks quite promising. I do have a couple of questions.

1) is there a way to sent the digital files via email instead of sending the links to the customers and wait for them to upload them?
    2) Has there been any progress on the issue with free digital files? I read that it was not supported a while ago, but has that changed? Again, we would like to email the file to the customers instead of having them download it.

Thanks for your input!
    beuten

Your number 2) - you can provide a free download, by linking to the file in a fragment - to see how this works look at the software page on my site - the first fragment.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

I know that I can add a link and let people download it, but I don't need an ecommerce site to do that. What I want to do is offer digital products (some for sale, some free of charge) that I can email to them instead of them downloading the documents.

This allows me to have the same look and feel for all the products and collect the details of my customers. I received feedback from my customers that they would prefer to receive an email with the documents they purchased/require instead of going through an extra step of downloading them.
      Last edited by beuten; 30-Jan-2006, 02:41 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Now you really have me confused.

You are posting in a support forum for the best shopping cart software in the market, asking how you can attach a file to your email instead of providing a link to the online location.

This is for customer convenience, so they can sit and watch their email not respond for twenty minutes while it tries to download the email with the 40Mb digital download attachment, instead of having immediate receipt of a link email and watching the ftp download for twenty minurtes?

What am I missing?
        Bill

Comment

You are posting in a support forum for the best shopping cart software in the market, asking how you can attach a file to your email instead of providing a link to the online location.
          EXACTLY!! Because this is the best shopping cart software in the market, I was hoping that it would also be flexible enough to do what we are trying to achieve!

download the email with the 40Mb digital download attachment
          Aahhh - you are assuming that I am sending large files. All of my file are less than 1MB. In fact 90% of them are less than 500KB (PDFs and Word Documents). With the advances of DSL in many homes, my email will be sitting in the users inbox (along with the digital products they purchased) long before they have clicked on the link in the standard receipt.

Hope this helps to explain the email delivery requirement.
          Chad

Comment

OK - now it all becomes clear

You are looking for a way to have Actinic automatically embed the digital file into the routine order confirmation email.

Sorry, I can't help here. I think you need a perl programmer to attempt that.
            Bill

Comment

anyone else know how I can do this? or know someone that can do it for me?

Comment

Actinic sends emails using very low level (socket level) system calls. This is done in order to maintain compatibility with a wide range of server systems.

Adding an attachment to the generated email may be possible, but would take a lot of work.

The routine to examine is in Actinic.pm, sub SendRichMail. Then check various RFC's regarding MIME, e.g. http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2047.html
                Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Working...
                X