Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Image Searches: Frames and Java

Hi all,

The functioning of Google image search and Yahoo Image search have some impications for V4 (and perhaps other) actinic setups.

When Google displays the result of an image search it does so inside a frame as does Yahoo.

Unfortunately in the case of Google the result is displayed with the window.location set to null. The frame loader relies on a valid location and subsequently fails. This is not helpful and results in a "Page not found" type of error.

In the case of Yahoo, the frame seems to have Javascripting completely disabled so all features relying on this fail.

In the first case the frame loader script can be modified to check for a non null location before attempting to reload with frames. This is better than nothing which is the other option.

In the second case Yahoo seems determined to limit your options to just two. Lump it or Leave it.

I haven't checked to see if there are any other image searches that don't work.

My apologies if this has all been said before.

Regards

Alex Harvey

I always use my robots.txt file to dissallow robots from indexing images.

In my mind people who search images are not shoppers more of them tend to be searching for images to hotlink to or steal,pilfer, ripoff etc , therefore I don't actually want my images showing in image results.

I know this isn't the answer you are looking for, but it may be worth asking yourself the function of such searches

Comment

Thanks, but I was not looking for a solution; just letting people now of a potential issue and detailing its cause.

Comment

Working...
      X