Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1&1 managed Servers

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience using 1&1 managed unix servers for digital downloads with actinic? Just wondering if anyone has set up a store with actinic using DD on this platform, and if so if everything was ok.

Andy

Originally posted by irishactinic
    Hi,

Has anyone had any experience using 1&1 managed unix servers for digital downloads with actinic? Just wondering if anyone has set up a store with actinic using DD on this platform, and if so if everything was ok.

Andy
    yes it ok when set up pro are Unlimited bandwidth
    100 MBit data transfer speed

crap thing is only the ip address is not uk but are german
    if that ok try also this this web host has there ip is usa and they sell in $ to the uk very good price over the £ and top ip address has uk ones are ££££££ more http://www.fasthostingdirect.com
    1and1 will not sell you there usa ip in the uk

Comment

Just be careful using 1&1 if you have a com domain as you will have problems getting into co.uk search engines.

Which geographical market are you targetting?

Comment

ip

Well i wasn't thinking of any where in particular - my concern was that actinic - including the digital download function would work correctly on the server. We are based in Ireland.

Comment

Yes but where you are hosted and the TLD you use are equally important. Its all very well having a functioning site, but I assume you want people to be able to find it too

If you host with 1&1 in Germany with a comTLD you will get into de search engines and US engines, but you will find it difficult to get into co.uk

Therefore if all your current business comes from the UK you may loose all your traffic.

Comment

I can personally vouch for what Jo is saying - I am with 1and1 and originally used my .com domain - the site was only indexed in Google.com (hardly at all in Google.co.uk). Thankfully I registered both the .com and .co.uk domain names and switched over to using .co.uk (with a permamnent redirect on .com) - this made a tremendous difference - now we are indexed in both both Google regions.

Comment

ips

Hey,

I fully appreciate the advice. When you see the search in google Search: the webpages from the we or pages from the UK - does the UK search serach uk ip addresses? Is this how it works? It searches for sites that are actually hosted on UK ip addresses?

Andy

Comment

to guarantee getting into co.uk search engines you need either to be hosted in the UK or an IP that appears to be in the Uk, or a co.uk TLD.

This is why I way saying be careful with 1&1.

you will be hosted in Germay with a com. thus not fulfilling either criteria

Comment

1 & 1 will give you a 10 free co.uk domains if you buy their managed server option now. Choose the domain name(s) you want, check if it/they is/are available and move now.

OR

Play safe, go with a UK based host who is familiar with Actinic and can give you a lot of support (and you can still register new co.uk domain names if you want to).
                  Bill
                  www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                  Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                  BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                  Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                  VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                  Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Working...
                  X