Confused over Advanced Network Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused over Advanced Network Settings

My site is live and seems to work fine. I was looking at the advanced network settings which have confused me. I followed the user guide and it told me to put http://www.littleeskimo.co.uk/acatalog in the catalog url. However this page doesn't actually exist on my site. What should I put in as the url instead??? Is it looking for the home page url as this is in effect the start of my catalogue. I am totally confused as to what it wants here.

I also have seen some webstats which say we have errors on page http://www.littleeskimo.co.uk/acatalog which obviously I would as it doesn't exist.

Please help me. I am trying to get google to reference our site and I seem to be going round in circles.
    Donna

Chief bunting supplier to Take That!

it should be with a trailing "/" ...acatalog/

This is just the route to the folder where Actinic stores everything - it is not a file but a folder on the server

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Thank you - should it have www. in there or not? D
      Donna

Comment

If the site is working OK I would leave alone - but yes, it should be the full URL to the folder

Bikster

Comment

I also have seen some webstats which say we have errors on page http://www.littleeskimo.co.uk/acatalog which obviously I would as it doesn't exist
          That's actually the address of the catalog directory on your server.

The reason you're getting errors logged is that your store main page name isn't index.html (or index.htm). When you look at a directory without an actual file name the server looks for these files and returns them by default.

If you've named your catalog home page (e.g.) shop.html then this file won't be returned as it doesn't match the defaults.
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks Norman

Thanks Norman but I'm sorry I don't really understand what you mean. As far as I can see if you look anywhere on my site everything links fine and you can place an order so I don't understand how anyone is even looking at the /acatalog page to return an error. Also I thought my home page was called /index am I wrong ?? For a marketing person this is all very confusing!!
            Donna

Comment

If you enter the address to a folder eg www.domain.co.uk/acatalog a browser will look for certain default pages - usually index.htm(l) or default.htm(l) so when you go to www.domain.co.uk/acatalog is is actually on the index.html page but that does not show in the browser.

If there is no index.html page in the folder the user will generally get (depending on the server) a "you do not have permission to browse this folder" ... this is to stop a listing of your files in that folder ... this is the reason why the digital download folder has a blank index.html file to stop users browsing through your files.

Norman is saying if the main page in the shop is name shop.html this is not recognised as a default index page. Either rename the file or add in a index.html page and you can set to redirect to the hoempage or wherever

Bikster

Comment

Thanks Jont, answered my question as well.

Comment

Working...
                X