Smart theme width again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mick,

Not sure if you are talking vertical distance here (I think you are).

In the template, there is a <p>&nbsp;</p> between side tables. Changing that to a <br /> will do wonders for the vertical spacing.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Thanks again Bill,

I actually meant horizontal spacing between te main table and sidetables so that there isnt an inch gap on either side of the main table. I added the <br /> break code and that seems to have helped vertiacally, im just looking for the code that alters the horizontal spacing now.

Just to recap, im using 100% width and all pages will now fit on a small screen with no horizontal scrollbar but on a large screen there are large gaps between the 3 tables horizontally and it looks unprofessional. I have a feeling your going to suggest permanently fixed widths for all pages and tables ?

Mick
      Kind regards,

Michael

www.stageprint.co.uk

Comment

The horizontal spacing is a combination of nasties.

First is the size of the containing table cells.

You have a table that contains three cells across. In the first cell (usually specified as 220 wide) are the left side tables, in the second cell is the main page block where your section links/fragments/products show up, in the third cell is the right side tables.

If your side table content is narrower, you can tighten up a little on the width of those two cells. The centre cell is usually set to 100% so it fills the remaining space between the fixed size left and right cells.

BUT

There is cellpadding inside the tables, and some browsers show that padding inside the cell, some add it to the outside of the cell, so to get the final positioning you are looking for, you may need to play with the padding and check the results in several browsers.
        Bill

Comment

At last im getting somewhere, albeit painfully and depressingly slowly.
          Main brochure page is closer to my requirements but all the other pages are completely messed up. Maybe I will get this sorted within the next 5 years

The home page will be custom built outside of actinic, so all I need from actinic is brochure, terms,site map and checkout pages.

Thanks for all the help so far.

http://207.210.84.126/acatalog/index.html
          Kind regards,

Michael

www.stageprint.co.uk

Comment

The 'other' pages

Hmmm,

My brochure homepage is positioned correctly after tweaking act_primary but the other pages are all over the place. I thought act_primary and brochure_primary would be the only templates I have to change ?

contact us = too wide
            checkout = massive
            view basket = massive
            Search = too small
            Terms = too small
            Site map = tiny

Please dont tell me I have to change every single page
            Kind regards,

Michael

www.stageprint.co.uk

Comment

Checkout and view basket use the Act_PrimaryCheckout

Site map, that centre table is set to 100 wide (missing the % sign)

Terms - the centre table is same width as left side - means there is a missing </table> there somewhere - it can help to make border=1 in all the tables while you develop and set it back to 0 later.
              Bill

Comment

Fluid width possible ?

Hi,

Ive now managed to get this thing viewing in both 1024 x 768 and 800 x 600 (apart from contact form) and now i moving on to the next challenge. I would like this smart template to work in 'fluid' fashion like this site - www.ebuyer.co.uk - which fills the entire screen and will reduce in width without having huge 10 mile gaps between cells like the smart theme. I know this will make adding content a bit of a nitemare but I want to exhaust all possible design options before finally settling on a size.

Apart from the gaps between cells, ive almost got it working as above

Btw, changing actstdwidth to 100% has only just started working properly for the first time in over 12 months.
                Kind regards,

Michael

www.stageprint.co.uk

Comment

Centrally fixed alignment

@ bill,

Ive gone back to the central aligned viewable in both idea. Its now well on its way and I just have to make a custom navbar in frontpage and sort out the pages that are not covered by act_primary and actbrochure_primary.

I may actually get to a stage where I can I stop asking repetetive questions at last, but dont hold your breath !

Cheers

p.s. I still think actinic software is weird
                  Kind regards,

Michael

www.stageprint.co.uk

Comment

I still think actinic software is weird
                    I think I'm wierd - Actinic software is convoluted but logical (for the most part)
                    Bill

Comment

Working...
                    X