Backing up your work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing up your work

I am working on 11 sites from a laptop and am terified of loosing everything.
    Does anyone know of the best, easiest way to keep a constant backup of Actinic sites?
    Do you have to create a snapshot of a site or can you just copy/backup the actinic directory?
    I would idealy like an automated backup of some kind as I never seem to get round to doing such tasks.
    Steve D
    Boomedia Ltd
    www.ukpets247.co.uk

I have exactly the same problem and am playing with this http://www.liutilities.com/ to auto backup selected files onto an external hard drive every 6 hrs.

It works but compresses the files - I am now thinking alomg the lines of just dumping the whole of Actinic onto an external drive.

Anybody else out there use backup software

Comment

I use Norton Ghost which has worked perfectly. So far I've only needed to recover a single file and that worked fine.

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

I simply use windows scheduler to run NTBackup daily to copy all the Site folders and subfolders to an external drive. I also export all products, create a snapshot daily (or when changes have been made), and have a copy of the security key and my custom theme in the Site1 folder as well so it's also backup up. I also
        I also keep a few back copies of the snapshot on the server and burn a CD/DVD each month.
        You can't have too many copies.

Most importantlt though they're not worth anything unless they can be restored - which I have done once after I messed a coupe of files up!

Comment

If you work through each Site and copy / paste the info in Housekeeping / Security into a textfile that you keep in each Site folder, then you have all the info in each site folder that's needed to fully re-create the site.

Subsequently, backing up (by whatever method) the Sites folder will make a backup containing all your sites.
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

I have just started to use BT Datasure which is a internet based system where you use BT servers for storage, they supply software where you tell it how often you want a backup and it suns in the background

Not expensive and various levels of diskspace available, you can also aparently recover from any location if the worst happens

Nice to know the data is off the office location and safe
            Chris Ashdown

Comment

Working...
            X