Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Image Hell (fear and trepidation)

Hi all, it's me again

I have built my site as far as i can go without uploading to a server.

But the images that i have put on the site are in a standalone file on my pc.

Should these images be put into the actinic "site 1" file?
    Can i just move the whole folder to site 1?
    And if i do and upload to a server will the images load or will actinic still try to load from the original root file address?

I have roughly 2000 images and am not looking forward to reassigning them

Originally posted by silky
    Hi all, it's me again

I have built my site as far as i can go without uploading to a server.

But the images that i have put on the site are in a standalone file on my pc.

Should these images be put into the actinic "site 1" file?
    Can i just move the whole folder to site 1?
    And if i do and upload to a server will the images load or will actinic still try to load from the original root file address?

I have roughly 2000 images and am not looking forward to reassigning them
    As far as I know......if you've moved them you'll need to reassign them
    www.ecclestonanglingcentre.co.uk

Comment

Oh dear (sob) thanks anyway

Comment

Hi,

This may help, I had over 1500 thumbnails and pop ups which had to be reassigned to a different drive letter:

http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=6357

Not sure if this applies to your problem but if it does then your ok

Mick
        Kind regards,

Michael

www.stageprint.co.uk

Comment

Though (clutching at straws) If anyone knows any different?

Comment

It's probably worth attempting the database mod mentioned above. It's a lot cleaner to have all your image files in a sub-folder of Site1. Before doing anything, make a Snapshot and backup all of Site1 somewhere safe.

Note that the above post only deals with the main product image files. If you have Section, Thumbnail or Popup images, these will need to be dealt with too.
            Norman - www.drillpine.biz
            Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up Norman I would be mortified if I gave out the wrong advice.
              Kind regards,

Michael

www.stageprint.co.uk

Comment

Guess what i have to do?! (weep,sob,howl)
                I followed your advice though the images arn't on a database just in a folder. I copied them over to site 1 keeping the original name of catalogue. and didn't need to do anything else the images were not there!!! so i am going to have to spend the rest of the day reloading the images from the site 1 folder, (weep)
                In hindsight i should really have thou7ght of that first. I could really begin to hate hindsight!

Comment

The post (#4 above) above is how to alter the Actinic database (ActinicCatalog.mdb) so it can find all your moved images.

Have a re-read of that post mentioned in #4 above.

Note that you will need Access 2000 (or later to do this).

If you don't want to do that you can simply move all your images back where they were.
                  Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                  Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

i don't have a database program, well not yet, so i had to do it all by hand, luckily and i don't know if anyone knows this (it might be helpful) if for example you images are in
                    c:\my documents and settings\...\cataloge\pics\fluffy bunny.gif
                    because they have been moved to the site 1 folder all you have to do is delete everything preceding "catalogue" so it reads catalogue\pics\fluffy bunny.gif

It worked for me i don't know how but it only took an houtr or so to correct all my images, so i was happy.

Comment

You did well to get away with just an hour or so! Could have been much worse.

It has worked deleting all the stuff at the start of the path as you have kept the file names the same - just move their location on the hard drive. The original path was an absolute path (to c:\my documents etc) but by moving the same image into the Actinic folder you can get away with relative paths (pic/fluffy_bunny.gif) etc

You can keep product images in sub folders of the site directory but any images used to form the templates are best kept in the root of the site folder (along with the Act_Templates etc) so they preview and function correctly.

Glad you got it sorted

Bikster
                      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by jont
                        You can keep product images in sub folders of the site directory but any images used to form the templates are best kept in the root of the site folder (along with the Act_Templates etc) so they preview and function correctly.
                        Yeah i am glad as well! i can tell you. And thanks for this bit of info, i didn't realise that, so am busy moving those images to the correct folders now!

Comment

Working...
                        X